The You Can Think Pad is a green map tablet with an antenna, a red ellipsoid and a black screen which later shows the map, pause screen and other mechanics.
In Baldi's Basics Classic and Birthday Bash, it appears as a green tablet on a black background with a purple ellipsoid on the top left corner of it. It has an antenna on the top right corner of it. In the top center, there is a text "You Can Think Pad" in navy. On the bottom left corner, Baldi appears on a small screen to the bottom left of it, but once a problem is answered incorrectly, his face switches to angry and he does not show up when collecting any further notebooks. The "Learn" track that plays during the first two sequences until a wrong answer is given, is a two-second loop. There is also a green number pad from the right with small purple buttons with numbers 0–9, letter C and -, and a big circle button with "OK!" text.
Baldi's Basics Plus
The You Can Think Pad will display mechanical features to the game such as the map and the pause menu. This concept was first introduced in the Kickstarter Exclusive Demo V1.2. A layout of the You Can Think Pad zooming in is shown when using it.
Baldi's Basics Classic/Birthday Bash
|“||Answer the three questions correctly, and you might get something special!||”|
When the Player uses the You Can Think Pad, it has a question and an answer box, both of which are white. The answer box has text that says "ENTER ANSWER" in a light gray color. The Player has to enter an answer consisting only of numbers, and sometimes a dash (for negative amounts) into the box. If they solve the problem correctly by typing in the right answer, they get a green check on one of the three boxes off to the left. If they answer incorrectly, they get a red X instead.
Upon getting all of the questions right in the first notebook, Baldi will comically say "WOW! YOU EXIST!". The last question of the first notebook is normal and can be solved, but the final question for the second notebook and every further notebook (except on Endless Mode) consists of a clumped amount of numbers, making it impossible to answer correctly.
When the Player gets their first question wrong (which is inevitable as a result of the first impossible question found in the second book), the music will come to a halt, and Baldi's smile will slowly turn into an angry frown, before displaying one of two messages on the You Can Think Pad. Both of these messages are made to threaten or scare the Player, yet also inform the Player of Baldi's behavior. Nothing happens for a few seconds, then the game exits out of the You Can Think Pad.
This is when Baldi starts chasing the Player, and the real game begins. In Story Mode, the next notebooks will still have the third impossible question, unlike in Endless Mode, where only the second notebook has an impossible question.
Intentionally or accidentally failing all three questions will cause a unique message to show up, saying, "I HEAR MATH THAT BAD". The message only appears in Story Mode, oddly enough. It will also fling Baldi into an uncontrollable fervor where he moves abnormally fast for a few moments before gradually calming down and returning to his regular speed.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, the Player can still use the You Can Think Pad from two extra notebooks in the glitched school.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic Remastered, the text consists of lowercase letters and the question is moved down slightly. The marks have a new design, too. Also, the answer box has no "ENTER ANSWER" text and the bottom left screen's background is white, instead of black.
- In Baldi's Basics - Field Trip demo: Camping and Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo, the You Can Think Pad is unimplemented.
- Note: These quotes are exclusively featured in Classic/Birthday Bash.
|WOW! YOU EXIST!||
If all questions are answered correctly on the 1st notebook.
|That's more like it...||When answered all questions correctly on a notebook after having the 3rd notebook on Endless Mode, and so on.|
|I can't remember what this one is supposed to say... (unused)|
|Keep up the good work or see me after class... (transcript only)|
|I HEAR EVERY DOOR YOU OPEN||When getting at least one question wrong. (Endless Mode or up to two questions on Story Mode)|
|I GET ANGRIER FOR EVERY PROBLEM YOU GET WRONG|
|I HEAR MATH THAT BAD (transcript only)||When all 3 questions are answered incorrectly. (Story Mode only)|
|THIS IS WHERE IT ALL BEGAN||When answering a question as 31718 to teleport to the |
|USE THESE TO STICK TO THE CEILING!||When enabling the upside-down secret (except for the HUDs) by typing in 53045009 to the question.|
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- The You Can Think Pad's teaching featured was moved to Baldi's Math Machine, as its purpose was changed in the Baldi's Basics Plus.
- The reason for doing this is pausing the game to solve math problems would break the flow and make the game less fun to play.
- There is the feature related to You Can Think Pad called You Thought Points. However, after the function of the You Can Think Pad was changed, it is impossible to earn points on this device.
- Probably, the YCTP appearing on the Baldi's Basics Plus pause menu is a reference to the fact that Baldi stops moving when using YCTP in Baldi's Basics Classic.
- In the subtitle json file since V0.3.3, there is an unused quote that reads "I can't remember what this one is supposed to say..." which will likely be used in Classic Remastered. Plus, the "Keep up the good work or see me after class..." and "I HEAR MATH THAT BAD" quotes are not included.
- Classic/Birthday Bash
- Baldi stops moving while the Player uses the You Can Think Pad.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- The You Can Think Pad had few amount of changes in updates before Baldi's Basics Classic V1.4:
- The pad lacked the number pad from its right side.
- It originally has a trademark icon at the end of its name: "You Can Think Pad™". Although it was removed in the latest update patch.
- The title's font color was purple rather than navy.
- At the beginning of the first (and second, in most cases) notebooks in update V1.2.2, Baldi said the quotes about the subject and how to play the minigame. However, in the V1.3 update, this only applies to the first notebook the Player collect. On the second notebook, the quotes are not used.
- The texts and marks were not pixelated.
- The Player can only put numbers in the answer, not letters and symbols (except for the hyphen used for negative numbers).
- In V1.3.2 and prior, it was possible to type decimal points/dots in the answer. But in V1.4 and up, it is no longer possible to type decimals unless if changing the code.
- The 3rd glitched questions were made by overlaying 3 layers of randomized equations on top of each other.
- In V1.4.1d, the "OK" button could be pressed, even though the answer box is empty.
- In V1.4.2 and up on mobile versions, it now can only be pressed when an answer box is filled.
- The model of the You Can Think Pad was featured as one of the first digital goodies.
- Secret codes were first introduced in update V1.4.1.
- The "31718" number, along with the You Can Think Pad's corresponding result message, is a reference to the actual date where mystman12 began developing Baldi's Basics Classic - March 17, 2018 (3/17/18).
- The "53045009" code is "GOOSHOES" upside down. The "goo shoes" is a reference of the Slime Shoes in the 90s.
- The secret codes can still be filled in even when the Player has answered all three questions in each You Can Think Pad.
- In the first version of Baldi's Basics Classic, when collecting the first notebook, there is a bug causing the texts to still say "WOW! YOU EXIST!'" instead of the threatening messages when answering the questions incorrectly. Same applies to the second notebook, where this text got overlapped the problem text.
- Classic/Birthday Bash
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- "The YCTP has been re-purposed as the device used to view the map and pause menu and stuff. All the math problems and other activities that must be completed to unlock notebooks no longer use a separate screen." - Baldi's Basics Plus Steam Community Hub
- "I've scrapped the idea of pausing the game to solve math problems, it just broke the flow too much and wasn't any fun. There will be more variety to the activities down the line (So not just math machines) but I don't plan on doing anything that requires stopping everything else." - Baldi's Basics Plus Steam Community Hub
- "First off, the You Can Think Pads will get a new feature, the ability to award You Thought Points (YTPs)! Depending on how quickly you solve the problems they present, you'll earn more YTPs. ... There will be other ways to earn YTPs as well, such as in field trips, or even through some characters!" - Kickstarter Update #3 - One week in! More new features and creating characters!
- "Yeah... Baldi- Baldi stops moving when you're in the You Can Think Pad, so ..." - Livestream archive 38:36~38:45
- "It's actually just three layers of randomized numbers on top of each other." - mystman12. June 29, 2018. Twitter
- "The classic You Can Think Pad model" - First Digital Goodies are now available!
|About Page • Category|