- "Principal" redirects here. For other uses, see Principal (disambiguation).
|“||detention for you!||”|
— Principal of the Thing sending the Player to detention.
Principal of the Thing is a dithered realistic photo of a lanky adult man with his right hand out pointing upwards. His eyebrows are raised and his mouth is open as if he was shouting. He wears a dark gray sweater-shirt with lighter stripes, pale blue jeans, and brownish-red socks (originally white) without shoes. His legs are slightly glitched/erased, along with part of his left arm.
According to mystman12, Principal of the Thing is, in fact, wearing a yellow bow-tie, but it is extremely hard to see because he uses very few colors to dither the Principal's image, as his skin color is very similar to the color of his bow-tie. It is located on his neck and can more clearly be seen in his merchandise items.
Based on the scaling of Baldi's ruler, Principal of the Thing is about 6.9 feet (210.31 centimeters) tall, the same height as angry Baldi.
Principal of the Thing has a very calm personality, speaking in a monotone voice and barely raises his voice without expressing any other emotions. Like a hall monitor, he is in charge of the Schoolhouse or Super Schoolhouse and will put students in detention upon getting caught breaking any rules "in the halls", even if they are in any location except for the Playground and his office. He is known to be very strict as he sends the Player to detention without warning for a tiny infraction such as running in the halls.
Principal of the Thing seems to be taking the place of what a normal hall monitor would do in a school environment. He will slide quickly around the school, checking the rooms and occasionally whistling. He will pass by the Player without conflict unless the Player is caught breaking any of the School Rules. Principal of the Thing moves very fast, so wait until he passes by, and then start running once the Player is out of his vision.
If Principal of the Thing sees the Player breaking the rules for more than half a second, he will chase the Player at a speed that is faster than the Player's running speed until he catches them. He will not whistle while chasing the Player, so it is hard to know where he is coming from. Once he has caught up to the Player, he will teleport himself and them to his office, giving the Player detention for a certain amount of time before leaving. While Faculty Nametag is in action, Principal of the Thing will not scold the Player, but he will still chase them and send them to detention if they broke the rule before using it.
During detention, the Player is unable to leave the room for 15 seconds for the first time, and the time they will have to wait will be increased by 5 seconds (15 seconds in Classic/Birthday Bash) each time they are caught. Any detention after 60 seconds will last for 99 seconds.
There are some items, such as Principal's Keys, Portal Poster, and Dangerous Teleporter that can be used to escape detention. However, the longer the detention time is, the riskier this is to do as if Principal of the Thing catches the Player outside while detention is still being held, he will send them back to detention with increased waiting time.
Being put into detention attracts Baldi to the center of the Principal's office unless the sound with higher value than 95 plays before he completely reaches the source of it. This will cause Baldi to go towards the Player's location unless Alarm Clock rings before he enters the Principal's office, or using Dirty Chalk Eraser to hide from him. Baldi's Least Favorite Tape and Pay Phone would work when Baldi gets attracted by detention, but he may enter the Principal's office while wandering around. As such, 45-second or longer detention is an almost guaranteed game over without these items or a distraction, as it will take too long for the timer to hit 0 before Baldi enters and catches the Player.
Principal of the Thing can actually help the Player at certain times. If he takes the Player to his office, they can potentially escape from Baldi and use Baldi's Least Favorite Tape. Principal of the Thing is one of the few characters that can interrupt Playtime's jump rope mini-game, which can sometimes be useful. He also opens doors when entering rooms, allowing the Player to sneak inside without Baldi hearing.
Principal of the Thing can send It's a Bully to detention for bullying if the Bully talks to the Player for asking an item. This can make him quite helpful on some occasions, but he will not send him to detention if the Principal chases the Player breaking the rule.
There is randomly a window in some of the Faculty Rooms. Even though the Player can see Principal of the Thing through that window, he cannot not scold the Player because he has no eyesight through windows, similar to other characters like Baldi and Beans. He can scold them through the Portal Poster, however.
Some items like BSODA, Swinging Door Lock and Dangerous Teleporter can be used to avoid being put in detention for a short while if needed, but he will chase the Player relentlessly when he is in their sight.
Principal of the Thing tends to only go to places he has not visited, rather than just wandering in completely random places in Classic/Birthday Bash.
By using Principal Whistle, he will come to the Player in a very fast speed and say "Don't worry, I'm coming!".
- In Stealthy Challenge, a total of 6 Principal clones will spawn. If any of them notice the Player, the Principal clone will call the Player out for being in school after hours and chases them for detention. These clones can find the Player hiding in a blue locker or the dust cloud created by Dirty Chalk Eraser.
- Principal of the Thing is absent in Speedy Challenge and Grapple Challenge.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic, Principal of the Thing wanders randomly around the entire map. His detention time list is shorter, ranging from 15, 30, 45, 60, to 99 seconds.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, Principal of the Thing has the same apparance in Classic, expect that he also wears a birthday party hat to celebrate Baldi's Basics Classic's one year anniversary. When appearing with the original cast for a surprise to the Player once reaching the last door in the Cafeteria, he will say "No surprises in the halls!" for comical purposes.
- In Baldi's Basics - Field Trip demo: Camping, Principal of the Thing plays a very minor role and is one of the four characters who appear and return from Baldi's Basics Classic. He can only be found past a few black walls in a hallway, where he will say "No breaking the fourth wall in the halls!". However, Principal of the Thing will not bring the Player to detention and will simply stand there idly. There is no Principal's office in the school's map for Field Trip demo, as it has only a few small hallways.
Principal of the Thing has a certain "guilt system" to detect the Player breaking the school rules. The guilt time in seconds varies depending on the school rule that was broken.
Each school rule has its own guilt time in seconds. If Principal of the Thing sees the Player breaking the rules, the guilt time will accumulate the time that he sees the Player breaking them. If the time that he sees the Player breaking the rules reaches over 0.5 seconds, he will call the Player out for what they've done to break the rules and chase them for detention.
|Rule broken||Guilt time|
|"No running"||0.1 seconds|
|"No entering faculty"||1 second if exiting|
|"No drinking"||0.8 seconds|
|"No escaping detention"||Dependent on detention time remaining|
|Getting out of a blue locker||0.5 seconds|
- There is a chance that Principal of the Thing and Filename2 could actually be a photo of a poorly edited Micah. It is not confirmed, but it is assumed to be him.
- His name is a play on words of the phrase: "It's the principle of the thing." A principle is a fundamental rule, law, or tenet.
- Principal of the Thing's whistle is inspired by a scene in the Cartoon Network animation series The Amazing World of Gumball. In the episode "The Banana", a character known as Banana Joe is seen whistling a similar tune.
- According to mystman12's live stream, he was unsure where Principal of the Thing's shirt came from. He went on to mention it was simply a shirt he just happened to have in his possession. However the display of the short animation t-shirt when it presented the model It's a Bully.
- In the trailer of a Baldi's Basics fangame, Yukon's Basics, there is a voiceline of Principal saying "No making a Baldi's Basics fangame in the halls!" made by mystman12.
- In one of the pictures from MAGFest 2020 by mystman12, he made a pose and facial expression that look like Principal of the Thing.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- All other characters, except for Beans, have a reason to not get sent to detention for running in the halls: Arts and Crafters, 1st Prize, Chalkles, and Gotta Sweep are non-human, Baldi is a teacher and he is not running (he is seemingly teleporting), Playtime is jumping around the halls instead of running, Mrs. Pomp is a teacher and is hopping around instead of running, and It's a Bully does not move in the school (although he is put into detention solely for bullying, after all, he is a bully).
- Despite this, Principal of the Thing is clearly running around the school, since he's always faster than the Player's sprinting speed, which is against the rules. Even being faculty, it is unprofessional to break the Player's own rules constantly; even more-so since theoretically running could endanger students.
- There is an odd, idiomatic tongue-in-cheek joke for the Principal's office description: While using the "justice is served" phrase (an idiom used to give proper punishment or fair treatment) when catching the students violating any rules, Principal then states that the served justice tastes good for him like a legitimate food similar to the "dinner is served" idiom.
- Despite Principal of the Thing's quotes "No being at school after-hours in the halls!" and "No looking in other peoples' lockers in the halls!" are not mentioned in the School Rules poster, he sends to the Player detention for breaking the rules.
- From the V0.1.2 update onwards, it is now possible to lose him. However, this does not work in Stealthy Challenge.
- If the Player is in the Faculty Room before teleporting and Principal of the Thing is in the Player's sight after teleporting, he will scold them for entering the faculty room. The similar thing will happen while hiding a blue locker before doing so. In that case, the Principal will scold the Player for looking in other people's lockers.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- As of the V1.3 update, he detects the Player breaking rules in his line of sight, rather than a small radius as in older versions. Also, he was not able to send It's a Bully to detention at all, but he could send the Player to detention if he detected the Player used an Energy Flavored Zesty Bar as the No bullying rule was the No eating food rule instead.
- There are unused audio files for Principal of the Thing that say "No stabbing people with pencils in the halls!" and "No looking in other people's lockers in the halls!".
- mystman12 revealed in his gaming livestream that the "No stabbing people with pencils in the halls!" quote was going to be used for when a cut character named "Pencil Boy" stabs the Player.
- The "No looking in other people's lockers in the halls!" quote was used for an unused concept where the Player was intended to be able to open lockers and find items. mystman12 has revealed that the reason he did not implement this concept is that he thought the idea would be too tedious to pull off. However, the audio file is used when he catches the Player hiding in a locker since the Kickstarter exclusive demo.
- Using hacks, if the Player in the starting T-shaped corridor location uses the Yellow Door Lock on all three yellow doors to get the Player themselves trapped while Principal is running after them for detention, Principal's speed limit will glitch; moving extremely slow and steady but also rarely moves in normal speed for brief amounts of time, and using the BSODA on him will not push him away normally. This will last until any Yellow Door Lock expires.
- Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash
- Strangely, Principal of the Thing's sprite has a lot spaces above him. It is unknown if this is intentional or not.
- Baldi's Basics - Field Trip demo: Camping
- Principal of the Thing's "No breaking the fourth wall in the halls!" line from the field trip demo is a pun for going through the final wall, which reads "You'll regret this...".
- For some reason, Principal of the Thing is much taller than in Baldi's Basics Plus.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Prior to V0.1.2, the maximum detention time is 65 seconds. However, Principal of the Thing says "99 seconds" instead.
- Prior to V0.1.3, Principal of the Thing did not send It's a Bully to detention.
- Luring the Principal to the Player's location with Principal Whistle while the party event is active will cause the Principal to go to their location and freeze in place until the party event ends.
- Since V0.2, sometimes, if Principal of the Thing sent the Player to detention, he would scold them and send to detention again. Also, during the fog event, he could still scold the Player, even if he is not seen in their vision. These issues were fixed in V0.2.2.
- If the Player stands halfway in and out of the door when Principal's Keys are used while in detention, the Principal of the Thing will not detect that they have escaped detention.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- If the Player is already in Principal's office and is caught breaking one of the school rules, Principal of the Thing will overlap the Player until he leaves the office, then send them back with detention. If the Player runs back to the door as soon as they are returned with detention, they can escape through the door before it closes, then run away before Principal leaves the room to avoid being spotted, effectively escaping detention just like when using the keys.
- Before V1.3.2, Principal of the Thing would put the Player in detention if he saw them being pushed by Gotta Sweep or 1st Prize while running.
- Sometimes he will not send It's a Bully to detention even after calling the Bully out for the No bullying violations.
- If the Player holds shift for less than a half-second with a 1-second delay repeatedly, they can actually run in the halls without Principal of the Thing catching them.
- If the Player is close enough to Principal of the Thing, or in a certain angle, he will not put them in detention for breaking any rule.
- Although this is only when hacking if Principal catches the Player running while using noclip, he will take them to detention and then say: "No escaping detention in the halls!", and get frozen in his office.
- While whistling, the sound overlaps when the Principal calls the Player out over the rule breaks. It was fixed on V1.1 of the full game early demo.
- In the full game early and Kickstarter exclusive demo, when the stamina bar is empty and the Player is still holding the run button, Principal still sends the Player to detention for running in the halls.
|*Whistling*||Plays at random intervals when the Player is not scolded.|
|No running in the halls!||Plays when Principal of the Thing catches the Player running.|
|No entering faculty only rooms in the halls!
(No entering school faculty only rooms in the halls!)
|Plays when the Player enters, exits or is in the Faculty Room while Principal of the Thing is nearby.|
|No bullying in the halls!||Plays when Principal of the Thing catches It's a Bully asking the Player for an item.|
|No drinking drinks in the halls!||Plays when Principal of the Thing catches the Player using BSODA.|
|No escaping detention in the halls!||Plays when the Player escape Principal's office during detention time.|
|No looking in other people's lockers in the halls!||Plays when Principal of the Thing catches the Player getting out a blue locker.|
|No being in school after-hours in the halls!||When Principal of the Thing notices the Player in Stealthy Challenge.|
|15 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention once in a round.|
|20 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention twice in a round.|
|25 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention three times in a round.|
|30 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention four times in a round. (Twice in the Classic/Birthday Bash editions.)|
|35 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention five times in a round.|
|40 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention six times in a round.|
|45 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention seven times in a round. (Three times in the Classic/Birthday Bash editions.)|
|50 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention eight times in a round.|
|55 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention nine times in a round.|
|60 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention ten times in a round. (Four times in the Classic/Birthday Bash editions.)|
|99 seconds||Plays when the Player gets detention eleven or more times in a round. (Five times or more in the Classic/Birthday Bash editions.)|
|detention for you!||Plays after Principal of the Thing announces the time of detention.|
|You should know better.||Plays when Principal of the Thing leaves the Principal's office while the Player is in detention.|
|When will you learn?|
|Your parents will hear about this one!|
|Don't worry, I'm coming!||When the Player uses Principal Whistle to come Principal of the Thing to their location.|
- Field Trip demo
|No breaking the fourth wall in the halls!||Easter egg in the Field Trip demo.|
- Birthday Bash
|No surprises in the halls!||Plays to celebrate the Player when collecting all 7 notebooks and reaching the cafeteria exit door.|
|No eating food in the halls!||Plays when Principal of the Thing catches the Player using an Energy flavored Zesty Bar before V1.3.|
|No stabbing people with unused dialogue in the halls!
(No stabbing people with pencils in the halls!)
|Would have played when Principal of the Thing catches Pencil Boy stabbing the Player with a pencil.|
|No chasing the creator of the game in the halls!||6:39|
|When will you learnnnn?...||22:23|
|No breaking the fourth wall in the halls!||48:20|
|*even more whistling*||1:15:05|
|*tons of whistling*||1:27:57|
|No sending people to detention in the halls!||1:31:07|
|No live streaming in the halls!||1:38:18|
|No walking past the principal in the halls!||2:05:32|
- Kickstarter Video
|No making a game in college in the halls!||4:32|
- Yuokn's Basics trailer
|No making a Baldi's Basics fangame in the halls!||0:25|
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo
- Baldi's Basics - Challenges Demo
- "Actually, he's always had a bow-tie, you just can't see it in the game because of how few colors his sprite uses. :P" - Twitter DM
- "Principal of the Thing used to wander around just like everyone else, but now he does so differently. Rather than wandering completely randomly, Principal of the Thing now prefers going to places he hasn't been in a while. This means if you see him pass through a hall, it's likely you won't see him come that way again for a while!" - Kickstarter UPDATE #20: Status Update #8 - Everyone is here!
- "I have no idea where the shirt for the Principal came from. Just a shirt I had..." - Livestream archive 1:25:55~1:26:04
- "Special thanks to Mystman12 for doing a voice line for the game!" - Description of Yukon's Basics' trailer
- "The "stabbing people with pencils in the halls" thing was actually going to do a character I would think I was gonna call him just like "Pencil Boy" or something. ... And basically what I was gonna be was this little kid who would basically come to you and start stabbing with pencils, and if the Principal saw, then he would get rid of him." - Livestream archive 48:31~48:56
- "Just a heads up, I'll be uploading version 0.1.3 of #BaldisBasics Plus tomorrow! It will include a handful of bug fixes, and the Principal of the Thing will also be able to send It's a Bully to detention again!" - mystman12. July 6, 2020. Twitter
|About Page • Mentioned Characters • Cut Characters • Comic-Exclusive Characters • Category|
|Italic: Unreleased, *: Non-Plus exclusive, **: Only mentioned|