- For the music track, see Playtime's Music.
— Playtime upon spotting the Player.
Her in-game sprite is a poorly drawn, animated image of a small girl with a skipping rope. She wears a red, long-sleeved dress with a pair of blue pants and brown shoes. She has messy light brown and black hair, a smile which turns into a frown when the Player uses the Safety Scissors on her jump rope, and a large nose. She appears to always have her right leg lifted in the air. She is described to have poor eyesight, her entirely black eyes possibly indicating retinal damage. She is animated to be skipping rope at all times as well as having her hair constantly move. She does not appear to jump over the rope when it comes down. Even though the girl is young, her face looks more like an old woman's face because of a line on the left side of her face under the eye. Plus, her hands are completely misshapen.
Her voice is distorted by poor audio quality, and her speech is consistently monotone and at a masculine pitch because mystman12 made voices for her. Her voice is also constantly peaking in audacity, making her one of the loudest characters speaking "naturally". It sounds like an elderly woman speaking through an old gramophone while her jingle is the sound of a music box.
Based on the scaling of Baldi's ruler, Playtime is about 4.7 feet (143.26 centimeters) tall, not including her hair or jump rope.
Playtime's personality ranges from being inconsistent to inscrutable, as her voice and mannerisms are illogical and uncanny. Whenever she is happy such as laughing, cheerfully seeking a playmate or congratulating the Player for winning her game, she always maintains a flat and deadpan tone in her voice. Her few genuine responses are when she is upset, specifically her outcry when she has her rope cut by the Player.
Despite this, she is apparently very social and seeks to company of fellow students to play with during the game. She seems entirely optimistic about being friends with others and is unprepared for hostility, which will leave her upset and confused for a short time. However, after this, she will continue to be social and cheery again, as well as trusting the Player again.
Playtime will roam the hallways in unspecified directions, playing her signature jingle. If she spots the Player while not on cooldown, she will immediately chase the Player at a speed that is slightly faster than the Player's running speed until she either loses track of or catches them. Playtime stops chasing the Player and wanders randomly if the Player is walking around a corner, as she forgets the Player's location as soon as they are out of her sight.
She will force the Player to stop moving and jump over a skipping rope five times without fault; otherwise, the Player will have to restart from the first jump. The Player must press the jump key (Space bar by default) or touch the button to jump and time the rope's position correctly in order to successfully jump. During the mini game, the Player's stamina will refill due to them not being able to move. After successfully jumping rope, Playtime will leave and the Player will earn You Thought Points and be free to walk again. 15 seconds will pass before she can catch the Player again.
The amount of You Thought Points after completing her minigame is 0 to 25. When the Player jumps the rope five times without messing up, then they will get 25 YTPs, but every time they miss the rope, the reward will be reduced by 5 YTPs. As a result, the Player cannot get YTPs if they miss the rope five or more times in a round before completing the minigame.
If the Player uses Safety Scissors on her jump rope, it will be cut and she will say "Oh! That makes me sad!", and she will frown before leaving.
While the Player is halted by Playtime, other characters can all still affect the Player upon contact. If the Player is moved or teleported by characters' action, Playtime's minigame will be interrupted immediately.
- Baldi - This can lead to his catching of the Player.
- Arts and Crafters - After the Player collects all notebooks in a recommended number.
- Principal of the Thing - If he catches the Player breaking the School Rules.
- 1st Prize, Cloudy Copter and Gotta Sweep - Pushes the Player away from her.
The minigame can be also interrupted in other ways:
- Standing on the Conveyor Belt.
- Standing near the whirlpool during the flood event. However, if only Playtime is sucked in the whirlpool, the minigame still goes on.
- Using the Grappling Hook or Dangerous Teleporter.
- Entering a blue locker. (Baldi's Basics Plus versions V0.1.5 and above)
- Getting closed on by a standard door. (Baldi's Basics Classic V1.0-V1.3.2 only)
These interruptions will also make Playtime sad and her jumping rope cut, but in Baldi's Basics Plus V0.1.2 and above only.
Even while the Player is jumping rope, a BSODA can be used if the Player has it. Using a BSODA on Playtime while the Player is jumping rope will push her, but will not interrupt the minigame.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic, Playtime has the same AI and also has the text "Time to jump rope!". On the mobile version, there is a text "Use " " to jump!" under it. She spawns in the middle of the left hall from the school's west wing. Sometimes she may keep going to the same direction even if she is out of sight of the Player.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, Playtime has the same appearance in Classic. Additionally, she wears a party hat (which falls off when her rope is cut) for the celebration of the game's first anniversary. At the end, as soon as the Player reached the last door from the Cafeteria at the end, Playtime will arrive with the original cast to yell a surprise for the Player. In one of the rooms in the Glitched School, a total of 8 Playtimes can be found along with a giant PlaceFace and SpoopBalloons. One of them is frowning and out of the line while others are different Playtimes, which represent each image as a frame of an animated Playtime sprite. All of the sprites are in the same height as the Player's. Fortunately, these Playtimes are just for show.
- In Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo, Playtime has a new spawn location. This is the first time, during her jump rope minigame, there is no text. The jump physics were also slightly improved.
- In Baldi's Basics Kickstarter Exclusive Demo, due to the demo's development oversight, Playtime's mechanic is very buggy and rarely seen.
- Playtime's scribbly-looking appearance, especially the eyes and hair, seems to be based on the YouTuber PilotRedSun's art-style, yet a bit more comparable to his "nesquik rabbit" video.
- This is the only NPC to have her own theme. However, in Baldi's Basics Classic, Playtime lacks her music until V1.3.
- According to mystman12's stream, to make Playtime's voice, mystman12 talks "like a clown" and edits it a lot.
- Playtime's voice line "Let's play!" was originally a test for Arts and Crafters' voice, but then mystman12 realized that the line would fit Playtime more, so he ultimately decided to use the line for Playtime instead.
- Playtime's clothes, skin and hair have the same colors as some of the default colors in Microsoft's Paint application.
- Strangely, Playtime's rope is over her hands, as if it was glued onto her hands rather than her holding it.
- She is one of the smallest characters in the game, but despite this, she has the largest sprite in the game files.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Playtime's animation has more frames than in Classic/Birthday Bash.
- Playtime will still say "I wanna play with someone!" and laughs even if her jump rope is cut.
- Playtime's subtitles can sometimes move when in field trips, however the full circumstances for this to happen are unknown.
- There is a very rare chance that if both Playtime and Principal of the Thing contact with the Player in the exact same time, they will get detention and play Playtime's minigame at the same time.
- When the Player hides in a locker while being chased by Playtime, her position would reset every time they exited the locker.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- In the first version, Playtime attracts Baldi when she plays jump rope minigame with the Player.
- In the game files, there are unused voice lines where Playtime counts up to 10.
- This indicates that Playtime was originally going to make the Player jump rope 10 times, but it was reduced to 5 when the final game was released. According to mystman12 during his livestream, this was because 10 jumps would take too much time to complete. Playtime was also supposed to be faster, too.
- Playtime also has a voice line where she tells the Player how to play her minigame, only used in the very first version. This was likely cut as it took too long.
- The "5" sound file is never played, even though the Player has to jump rope 5 times. An exception is in the earliest version where she does say 5 after the 5th jump, overlapping with the "Wow! That's great!" sound file.
- The "5" sound is later reused in the full game early demo.
- In previous versions, Playtime could enter rooms randomly. Currently, she will only enter a room if she is following the Player.
- When she was able to enter rooms randomly, she would enter faculty rooms and not get sent to detention for doing so; This is most likely because of her poor eyesight, and could not read the sign on the door.
- Playtime's speed when chasing the Player is higher than the Player's running speed itself, yet she cannot be sent to detention by Principal of the Thing for running in the halls if he is nearby. This is likely because, hence her animation, she is not technically running, but jumping.
- As of V1.4.1, Playtime is no longer faster than the Player's running speed, but actually slightly slower. She is still, however, considerably faster than the Player's walk speed.
- Playtime supposedly rarely uses the long hallway of the east side with the two Classrooms and the Faculty Room with the Swinging Door Lock.
- Prior to V1.4 update, there was a "Press the space bar to jump!" sentence during the skipping rope game. It was removed mainly because the Player can customize the controls on PC.
- Before V1.1 of the early demo and previous games, there was a lack of the "and short memory" phrase in the description of the poster in Principal's Office.
- Where Playtime spawns can be a reference to where the Playground was going to be located and that she was going to spawn there.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Prior to the V1.4 update, if the Player was standing in a standard doorway and was caught by Playtime, the Player would escape the minigame as soon as the door closed, and Playtime would wander off as if the Player had jumped all five times. This was due to the collision in Baldi's Basics.
- In earlier versions of the game, there was a glitch where Playtime would not leave the Player after the rope mini game ended, getting stuck in an infinite loop. This glitch also occurs in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash for unknown reasons.
- If the Player cuts Playtime's skipping rope on the same frame Playtime catches them, her mini game will not end; instead, the Safety Scissors will vanish but the Player will still have to jump all five times. This only happens in the mobile version.
- Sometimes, depending on distance and placement of obstacles, when encountering Playtime inside the Cafeteria, her detecting AI program will glitch her movement and her "Let's play!" line numerously repeats.
- Baldi's Basics Kickstarter Exclusive Demo
- Playtime appears as a static image rather than being animated.
- During the jump rope game, there's another jump rope that appears to be tiny and has a billboard.
- The Player can play the jump rope game while hiding in a locker. When the Player gets out of the locker during the jump rope game, the Player can still jump but the camera's height will not change. This was fixed in V0.1.5 update in Baldi's Basics Plus as entering a blue locker while playing the jump rope game will immediately cancel the minigame.
- Most of the time, Playtime is not shown.
- When using the Safety Scissors on Playtime, she does not say "Oh! That makes me sad!" and does not show her sad sprite. This was fixed in the V0.1.2 update in Baldi's Basics Plus.
|I wanna play with someone!||While idle.|
|Let's play!||When she finds the Player.|
|Ready? Go!||When the skipping rope minigame starts.|
|1!||Counting to 5 during the minigame right before congratulating the Player. Note that 5 was used in the first release of Baldi's Basics Classic, but it is reused since Full Game Early Demo.|
|Oops! You messed up!||When the Player fails to jump over the jump rope during the minigame.|
|Wow! That's great! Let's play again... Sometime soon!||When completing her minigame.|
|Oh! That makes me sad!||When the Player uses the Safety Scissors to skip the minigame or when she is interrupted in Baldi's Basics Plus.|
- Classic/Birthday Bash
|Oops! You messed up! Let's try again - from the top! Ready? Go!||When the Player fails to jump over the jump rope during the minigame.|
|Surprise!||When the Player reaches the exit door in the cafeteria after collecting 7 notebooks in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash.|
|N/A||Playtime's jingle in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash.|
|Jump rope ten times in a row. Once you do, I'll let you go! E-he-he-he! (transcript only)||Giving instructions before starting the mini game. Originally used for the first release of Baldi's Basics Classic.|
|6!||Counting to 10 after 5 during the mini game.|
- Birthday Bash
- Full Game Early Demo
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo
- "In the original game, Playtime will stop chasing you and wander randomly again if she loses sight of you. Problem was, sometimes she would still keep walking in the same direction! Now, she's guaranteed to turn around every time." - Kickstarter UPDATE #20: Status Update #8 - Everyone is here!
- "Playtime's voice is the only voice I can't do. When I recorded Playtime's voice, "I talk like this, like a clown!" (clown-like voice), and then I just do a whole lot of distortion to it.". - Livestream archive 18:15~18:26
- "Actually, when I recorded Playtime's line, "Let's play!", I was actually doing it as a test for, um, First-no, Arts and Crafters, I went "Let's play!" (clown-like voice) and then... I remembered I actually had a plan for Arts and Crafters which was a screeching noise he has, so I was like, 'Oh, I must just use it for Arts and Crafters.', then I realized this is perfect for Playtime, so that's how her voice came to be." - Livestream archive 18:28~18:56
- "I had to nerf Playtime a whole lot after the game released. I've slow her down... I know I've mentioned before, but I almost have seen jump 10 times for Playtime right before the release of the game. Like yeah, 10 times... Too much... Just too much.". - Livestream archive 17:28~17:48
|About Page • Mentioned Characters • Cut Characters • Comic-Exclusive Characters • Category|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive, *: Only mentioned|