- For the music track, see Playtime's music.
— Playtime, when finding the player
Playtime's in-game sprite is a poorly drawn, animated image of a small girl with a jump rope.
She has light skin, a smile (which turns into a frown when the player uses the Safety Scissors on her jump rope), and a long, cartoony nose. She is described to have poor eyesight, but she is not entirely blind. Her black, scribble eyes possibly indicate retinal damage, or were just drawn for stylistic purposes.
Even though Playtime is young, two lines on both sides of her face under her eyes make her look older. However, it could possibly be bags under her eyes, or even, based on the position of the lines, scars.
Her pixie-cut long hair is mostly black, but there are some tan strands. Upon closer inspection, the tan strands appear to be scribbled in a circular spread-out style, while the black strands appear to be cross-hatched zigzag lines, implying that the tan strands are curly and/or more tangled than the possibly-straight black strands.
Her pose makes her appear as if she is balancing on her left foot, and her arms are outstretched as if she is trying to hold her balance.
Her hands are misshapen as well; her left hand is a side-viewed open palm as if she was leaning against a wall, and her right hand somewhat resembles a 4-digit hand with her thumb (or index finger, if she has 5 digits counting a hidden thumb) and pinky fingers sticking up.
She wears a red, long-sleeved dress with a pair of cyan pants and simplistic light brown shoes, which could possibly be boots or high-heels since they go up to her pants sleeves.
Her jump rope and some parts of the black hair constantly move, the former in a manner that makes her appear to be jumping rope, hence her name, and the latter as if it is being blown by wind.
She does not appear to jump over the rope when it comes down though, because excluding that and her hair, none of her body moves. When her jump rope is cut, however, her entire sprite becomes a static image.
The jump rope itself has two scribbly handles, and the rope is a single, curved line connecting the handles. Each handle is drawn on each of Playtime's hands, so they appear to be attached to her hands and it does not actually look like Playtime is holding it.
The entire jump rope is black, and when it is cut, each half resembles a short whip being held upside down.
Her voice is distorted by poor audio quality, and her speech is consistently monotone and somewhat masculine for a little girl because Micah McGonigal provided her voice. Her voice is also constantly peaking in audacity, making her one of the loudest characters speaking "naturally".
Playtime's personality ranges from being inconsistent to inscrutable, as her voice, mannerisms, and behavior are illogical and uncanny.
Whenever she is happy, cheerfully seeking a playmate, or congratulating the player for winning her game, she always maintains a flat and deadpan tone in her voice. Her few genuine responses are when she is upset, specifically her outcry when she has her rope cut by the Safety Scissors.
Despite this, she is apparently very social and is always searching for someone to play with in her game. She seems to be very optimistic about being friends with others, but is also unprepared for hostility, which will leave her upset and confused for a short time once it happens.
However, after said short time passes, she will continue to be social and cheerful again, and she will trust the player again.
Her poor eyesight and short memory is possibly why she never turns corners after the player and immediately trusts them again after they bully her, respectively.
The poor eyesight might make her unable to tell if the corridors are still straight during a chase, and the short memory presumably prevents her from remembering that the player is mean to her, or even recognizing them for that matter, also possibly explaining her being unprepared for conflict.
All in all, her true intentions are never to purposely cause harm or make others upset, despite them thinking otherwise. Hence her name, she just wants to play with others and have fun. She most likely does not realize Baldi is pursuing the player for sinister intentions.
Playtime will roam the hallways in unspecified directions, playing her signature jingle. If she spots the player while not on cooldown, she will immediately chase them until she loses track of or catches the player. Playtime's speed when chasing the player is slightly faster than the player's running speed. Playtime stops chasing the player and wanders randomly if the player is walking around a corner, as she forgets the player's location as soon as they are out of her sight.
When Playtime catches the player, she will force them to stop moving and jump over a skipping rope five times in a row, otherwise, the player will have to restart from the first jump. The player must press the "Interact" key (Left Mouse Button by default) to jump. The player has to time the jump rope's position correctly in order to successfully jump over. During the minigame, the player's stamina will refill due to them not being able to move, but they cannot look back (even if the controls are changed) and use the quick map feature. After successfully completing the game, Playtime will leave, and the player will earn You Thought Points and be free to walk again. 15 seconds will pass before Playtime can catch the player again.
The amount of You Thought Points earned after completing her minigame ranges from 0 to 25 in increments of 5. When the player jumps the rope five times without messing up, they will get 25 YTPs, but every time they miss the rope, the reward will be reduced by 5 YTPs. As a result, the player cannot get YTPs if they miss the rope five or more times before completing the minigame.
If the player uses Safety Scissors on the jump rope, it will be cut and Playtime will say "Oh! That makes me sad!", and she will frown before leaving.
While the player is halted by Playtime, other characters can still affect the player upon contact. If the player is moved or teleported by the characters, Playtime's minigame will be interrupted immediately.
- Baldi - This can lead to him catching the player, causing a game over.
- Arts and Crafters - After the player collects the maximum number of notebooks in Hide-and-Seek and Explorer Mode or 7 or more notebooks in Endless Mode.
- Principal of the Thing - If he catches the player breaking the school rules.
- 1st Prize, Cloudy Copter, and Gotta Sweep - Pushes the player away from her.
The minigame can be also interrupted in other ways:
- Standing on the conveyor belt.
- Standing near a whirlpool during the flood event. However, if only Playtime is sucked in the whirlpool, the minigame still goes on.
- Using the Grappling Hook or Dangerous Teleporter.
- Entering a blue locker. (since Baldi's Basics Plus V0.1.5)
- Getting closed on by a standard door. (before Baldi's Basics Classic V1.4)
These interruptions will also make Playtime sad and her jumping rope cut (since Baldi's Basics Plus V0.1.2).
Even while the player is jumping rope, a BSODA can be used if the player has it. Using a BSODA on Playtime while the player is jumping rope will push her, but will not interrupt the minigame itself.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic, Playtime has the same AI and also has the text "Time to jump rope!". On the mobile version, there is more text saying "Use "" to jump!" under it. She spawns in the middle of the left hall from the school's west wing. Sometimes she may keep going in the same direction even if the player exits her sight.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, Playtime has the same appearance in Classic. Additionally, she wears a party hat (which falls off when her rope is cut) for the celebration of Baldi's Basics Classic's first anniversary. As soon as the player reaches the last exit in the cafeteria, Playtime will arrive with the original cast to yell a surprise for the player. In one of the rooms in the glitched school, a total of 8 Playtime sprites can be found along with a giant
SpoopBalloons. One of them is frowning and out of the line while others are different Playtimes, which represent frames of the animated Playtime sprite. All of the sprites are in the same height as the player's. Fortunately, these Playtimes are not interactive.
- In Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo, Playtime has a new spawn location. This is the first time, during her jump rope minigame, that there is no text. The jump physics were also slightly improved in such a way that the player would land on the ground quickly instead of seemingly floating. However, the text reappeared in V0.3.5 of Baldi's Basics Plus.
- In Baldi's Basics Kickstarter Exclusive Demo, due to the demo's development oversight, Playtime's mechanics are very buggy and rarely seen.
- Playtime is called "Get-away" time in Baldi's Tips'n'Tricks'n'Lessons.
- Playtime seems to be the exact opposite of It's a Bully given that:
- It's a Bully is stationary and lazy, while Playtime is active and energetic.
- It's a Bully, despite being big, is less of a challenge to deal with than Playtime.
- Playtime's hair is messy, while the Bully has neatly-combed hair.
- Playtime's scribbly-looking appearance, especially the eyes and hair, seems to be based on PilotRedSun's art-style, yet a bit more comparable to his "nesquik rabbit" video.
- She is the only NPC to have her own theme. However, in Baldi's Basics Classic, Playtime lacked her music before V1.3.
- According to mystman12's stream, to make Playtime's voice, mystman12 talks "like a clown" and edits it a lot.
- Playtime's voice line "Let's play!" was originally a test for Arts and Crafters' voice, but then mystman12 realized that the line would fit Playtime more, so he ultimately decided to use the line for Playtime instead.
- Playtime's clothes, skin, and hair have the same colors as some of the default colors in the Microsoft Paint application.
- Strangely, Playtime's rope is over her hands, as if it was glued onto her hands rather than holding it.
- She is one of the smallest characters in the game, but despite this, she has the largest sprite in the game files.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Playtime's animation has more frames than in Classic/Birthday Bash.
- Playtime will still say "I wanna play with someone!" and laughs even if her jump rope is cut.
- Playtime's captions can sometimes move when in field trips, however, the full circumstances for this to happen are unknown
- There is a very rare chance that if both Playtime and Principal of the Thing come in contact with the player in the exact same frame, they will get detention and play Playtime's minigame at the same time. It can be executed if the Gravity Chaos event is active and both Playtime and Principal of the Thing are following the player in the opposite gravity and then waiting until the event ends.
- When the player hides in a blue locker while being chased by Playtime, her position would reset every time they exited the locker. This happens because she cannot see the player hiding inside it.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- In the first version, Playtime attracts Baldi when she plays the jump rope minigame with the player.
- In the game files, there are unused voice lines where Playtime counts up to 10.
- This indicates that Playtime was originally going to make the player jump rope 10 times, but it was reduced to 5 when the final product was released. According to mystman12 during his livestream, this was because 10 jumps would take too much time to complete. Playtime was also supposed to be faster, too.
- Playtime also has a voice line where she tells the player how to play her minigame, only used in the very first version. This was likely cut as it took too long.
- The "5!" sound file is never played, even though the player has to jump rope 5 times. An exception is in the earliest version where she does say 5 after the fifth jump, overlapping with the "Wow! That's great!" sound file.
- The "5!" sound is later reused since Full Game Early Demo.
- In previous versions, Playtime could enter rooms randomly. Currently, she will only enter a room if she is following the player.
- When she was able to enter rooms randomly, she would enter faculty rooms but not get sent to detention for doing so.
- Playtime's speed when chasing the player is higher than the player's running speed itself, yet she cannot be sent to detention by Principal of the Thing for running in the halls if he is nearby. This is likely because Playtime is jumping, not running, given her animation.
- As of V1.4.1, Playtime is no longer faster than the player's running speed, but actually slightly slower. She is still, however, considerably faster than the player's walking speed.
- Playtime rarely uses the long hallway of the east side with the two classrooms and the faculty room with the Swinging Door Lock.
- Prior to V1.4, there was text saying "Press the space bar to jump!" during the jump rope minigame. It was removed mainly because the player can customize the controls on PC.
- In V1.0 of the Full Game Early Demo and previous games, there was a lack of the "and short memory" phrase in the description of the poster in the Principal's office.
- Playtime's spawn location can be a reference to where the playground was going to be located and that she was going to spawn there.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Playtime's jump rope is still seen when opening the advanced map.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Prior to the V1.4 update, if the player was standing in a standard doorway and was caught by Playtime, the player would escape the minigame as soon as the door closed, and Playtime would wander off as if the player had jumped all five times. This was due to the collision.
- In earlier versions of the game, there was a rare glitch where Playtime would not leave the player after the jump rope minigame ended, getting stuck in an infinite loop. This glitch also occurs in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash for unknown reasons.
- If the player cuts Playtime's skipping rope on the same frame Playtime catches them, her minigame will not end; instead, the Safety Scissors will vanish but the player will still have to jump all five times. This only happens in the mobile version.
- Sometimes, depending on distance and placement of obstacles, when encountering Playtime inside the cafeteria, her AI detection program will glitch her movement and her "Let's play!" line repeats numerously.
- Baldi's Basics Kickstarter Exclusive Demo
- Playtime appears as a static image rather than being animated.
- During the jump rope minigame, there is another jump rope that appears to be tiny and has a billboard.
- The player can play the jump rope game while hiding in a locker. When the player gets out of the locker during the minigame, the player can still jump but the camera's height will not change. This was fixed in the V0.1.5 update of Baldi's Basics Plus, as entering a blue locker while playing the jump rope game will immediately cancel it.
- Most of the time, Playtime is not shown.
- When using the Safety Scissors on Playtime, she does not say "Oh! That makes me sad!" and does not show her sad sprite. This was fixed in the V0.1.2 update of Baldi's Basics Plus.
|I wanna play with someone!||While idle.|
|Let's play!||When she spots the player.|
|Ready? Go!||When the skipping rope minigame starts.|
|1!||Counting to 5 during the minigame right before congratulating the player. Note that "5!" was used in the first release of Baldi's Basics Classic, but it was reused since Full Game Early Demo.|
|Oops! You messed up!||When the player fails to jump over the jump rope during the minigame.|
|Wow! That's great! Let's play again... Sometime soon!||When completing her minigame.|
|Oh! That makes me sad!||When the player uses the Safety Scissors to skip the minigame or when she is interrupted in Baldi's Basics Plus.|
- Classic/Birthday Bash
|Oops! You messed up! Let's try again - from the top! Ready? Go!||When the player fails to jump over the jump rope during the minigame.|
|Surprise!||When the player reaches the exit door in the cafeteria after collecting 7 notebooks in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash.|
|N/A||Playtime's jingle in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash.|
|Jump rope ten times in a row. Once you do, I'll let you go! E-he-he-he! (transcript only)||Giving instructions before starting the minigame. Originally used for the first release of Baldi's Basics Classic.|
|6!||Counting to 10 after 5 during the minigame.|
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Birthday Bash
- Full Game Early Demo
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo
- "In the original game, Playtime will stop chasing you and wander randomly again if she loses sight of you. Problem was, sometimes she would still keep walking in the same direction! Now, she's guaranteed to turn around every time." - Kickstarter UPDATE #20: Status Update #8 - Everyone is here!
- "Playtime's voice is the only voice I can't do. When I recorded Playtime's voice, "I talk like this, like a clown!" (clown-like voice), and then I just do a whole lot of distortion to it.". - Livestream archive 18:15-18:26
- "Actually, when I recorded Playtime's line, "Let's play!", I was actually doing it as a test for, um, First-no, Arts and Crafters, I went "Let's play!" (clown-like voice) and then... I remembered I actually had a plan for Arts and Crafters which was a screeching noise he has, so I was like, 'Oh, I must just use it for Arts and Crafters.', then I realized this is perfect for Playtime, so that's how her voice came to be." - Livestream archive 18:28-18:56
- "I had to nerf Playtime a whole lot after the game released. I've slow her down... I know I've mentioned before, but I almost have seen jump 10 times for Playtime right before the release of the game. Like yeah, 10 times... Too much... Just too much.". - Livestream archive 17:28-17:48
|About page • Mentioned • Unused/Removed • Comic-exclusive • Category|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive, *: Only mentioned|