PlaceFace is a giant, floating disembodied human head model with brown hair, brown eyebrows, orange (light-brown, due to dithering) eyes, a large nose, and a red-lipped mouth.
PlaceFace was added in Baldi's Basics Classic before all the characters were finished but was not seen from gameplay even since the first released version, V1.0.
As of V1.3.2, it was confirmed
PlaceFace exists outside (at the time) non-implemented
TestRoom as a deactivated invisible character in the Schoolhouse's left-wing. This is proven by decompiling the game in a Unity program or messing with the
level2 file in the game's files.
Once V1.4.1 released, two
PlaceFaces appear in
TestRoom where the player teleports after inputting 31718 into the You Can Think Pad. One
PlaceFace will remain still while the other slowly follows the player harmlessly if he sees them. The code for these
PlaceFaces was fixed, but the pre-V1.3.2
PlaceFace still remains invisible, but still working.
If the player clips out of the map in the player spawn location of the demo and goes behind the Super Schoolhouse,
PlaceFace can be seen behind the swinging door between two "NO" signs as an Easter egg.
PlaceFace has a same appearance in Baldi's Basics Classic. Another one is in the glitched school in this edition, a massively resized
PlaceFace appears in one of the rooms with multiple Playtime frames. He does not move however.
- It's a Bully's head is a heavily distorted version of
PlaceFacewas previously only used during NPC AI development of the game as a placeholder, hence the name. This is seen in a few screenshots on mystman12's Twitter.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic,
PlaceFaceactually appears to exist in the main gameplay outside of
TestRoom, and has been observed as early as V1.3.2; although he is only found invisible from the corner of the Schoolhouse's left-wing. It is possible to make him appear visible by using the decompiled Unity project or enabling the
TestEnemygame object in
level2via UABE and a test editor, however, his AI code is broken in the decompiled Unity project, resulting in him being frozen in place.
- It is possible to add a NavMeshAgent script to make
PlaceFacemove, but only in V1.3.2.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic,
- The texture of
PlaceFacebehind swinging doors (seen in the field trip demo) was first teased by mystman12 on his twitter, March 17, 2018. This is 4 months and 6 days before the release of the field trip demo.
- Strangely, in Baldi's Basics Classic, a development oversight reveals where
PlaceFacelooks blurry in quality if the player gets close to him. His blurry appearance is due to his texture filter being bilinear. This was later fixed in a next update version patch.
- The overall model of
PlaceFace's head may be a strong resemblance to the customizable Mii character. Interestingly, Mii for Nintendo consoles is mystman12's interest/hobby.
PlaceFacedefinitely first appeared in mystman12's unlisted "I'm a CGI Pro Now!" video (also revealing one scene that later inspire It's a Bully's head) since April 29, 2014, considering himself as a very first Baldi's Basics character ever created back before the game's existence. It was not revealed until mystman12 tweeted a reply on June 9, 2020.
- "Well, things are going pretty good so far! I've pretty much got player movement down, and now I'm testing out billboarding sprites (Thanks to the Unity Wiki for the billboarding script!) now. I'm going to look into AI next. #MetaGameJam" - mystman12. March 18, 2018. Twitter
- "The basics for AI is almost complete! Simplified the baking process by creating paths with quads for the AI to follow, which keeps NPCs along a much nicer, straighter line than otherwise. Now I just need to program each NPC's behavior, and the AI will be all set! #metagamejam" - mystman12. March 25, 2018. Twitter
- "Today was pretty slow. I had to create some textures, which was pretty time consuming and the results were pretty meh... Despite that though, the day ended with this, sooooo I'll consider it a success! #MetaGameJam #Gamedev" - mystman12. March 17, 2018. Twitter
- mystman12. June 9, 2020. Twitter
|About page • Mentioned • Unused/Removed • Comic-exclusive • Category|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive, *: Only mentioned|