The main purpose of the lighting system is to give Super Schoolhouse shading such as shadows, and dark rooms/hallways. It uses chunks as the main method of illuminating, light sources include ceiling tile lights and lamps. The further a chunk is from a light source, the darker the chunk is.
One of the main uses for the lighting system is the Lights-Off event or the light flickering effect by The Test character, in which the lighting ambience is turned down and the overall chunk brightness from the light system is globally lowered.
- The lighting system in action is firstly shown in the announcement trailer, then in the Baldi's Basics Plus' early access trailer and then in Basically, Games!'s Twitter. It was then first available in the first version of Baldi's Basics Plus.
- Characters are also affected by lighting, depending on which chunk they are in, the character will reflect that light level for its sprite.
- The chunk-based lighting system resembles the old Minecraft lighting system, where it was block-based. It's possible that the lighting system may be smoothed out dynamically on render in the future.
- Starting on Floor 2, some items are all black for no reason by this system. This glitch was fixed in V0.1.5 update.
- "#BaldisBasics Plus has a custom lighting system that really improves the atmosphere of the game. There are now light sources that can be turned on and off and even change color!" - Basically, Games!. May 21, 2020. Twitter