The main purpose of the lighting system is to give the Super Schoolhouse shading by creating shadows, and dark rooms or hallways. It uses chunks as the main method of illuminating, light sources include ceiling tile lights and lamps. The further a chunk is from a light source, the darker the chunk is.
One of the main uses for the lighting system is the lights-out event or the light flickering effect by The Test, in which the lighting ambience is turned down and the overall chunk brightness from the light system is globally lowered.
- The lighting system in action is firstly shown in the announcement trailer, then in the Baldi's Basics Plus' early access trailer and then in Basically, Games!'s Twitter. It was then first available in the first version of Baldi's Basics Plus.
- Characters are also affected by lighting, depending on which chunk they are in, the character will reflect that light level for its sprite.
- The chunk-based lighting system resembles the old Minecraft lighting system, where it was block-based.
- Prior to V0.1.5, starting on floor 2, some items in any location appeared to be darker for no reason by this system.
- "#BaldisBasics Plus has a custom lighting system that really improves the atmosphere of the game. There are now light sources that can be turned on and off and even change color!" - Basically, Games!. May 21, 2020. Twitter