|“||What?! No items, no pass...||”|
— It's a Bully, when the player tries to pass him without items.
It's a Bully is, hence his name, the school bully of the Schoolhouse and Super Schoolhouse. He is a poorly-modeled student that stands still around the school blocking the hallways, presumably existing in the game because it is believed that "every good school needs a good bully!", according to his poster description in the Principal's office.
It's a Bully appears to be a terribly-modeled CGI human figure with a fat orange ellipse sphere for a torso, blue cylinders for limbs, and small, tan, finger/toeless balls for hands and feet. His arms and legs both use the same model. He is completely barefoot. It's a Bully's outfit is difficult to make out, but it is likely that it's an orange shirt with long blue sleeves, with blue skinny pants underneath.
He has an incredibly distorted and deformed face with smaller brown eyes (beady due to the overall dithering effect), a gaping mouth with red lips (orange due to dithering) that clip into his fat, asymmetrical nose (upper lip) and where his nonexistent neck is (lower lip). It is possible that It's a Bully's brown hair is neatly combed in an unevenly-chopped bowl cut, as it appears smooth.
There is sans-serif text floating next to his head that says "THIS IS A BULLY" in all-caps. His pose appears to be in a run cycle, which ironically contrasts his lazy personality. He speaks in a clear voice, but every word at the end of a line he says has an echo effect.
Being the school bully, It's a Bully has a desire to take the player's items, making him appear as selfish and greedy. It's a Bully likes to get what he wants. He thinks that if the player has no items, they should not be able to pass by him. Even if Baldi is right behind the player, this still applies, making him seem heartless.
It is evident his bullying extends only to students and/or young kids, as he makes no attempt to harass any school faculty, including the player if they are wearing the Faculty Nametag.
It is possible that It's a Bully eats the food and drink items he takes from the player, due to his weight.
It's a Bully will stand still around the start or end of hallways in the school, sometimes switching positions as he might block the player's path completely.
If the player approaches It's a Bully, he will steal a random item from their inventory. Afterwards, he will mysteriously vanish and let the player pass. If the player approaches It's a Bully without any items, he will continue to block the player's path, forcing the player to go another way, if there is one. However, if the player approaches him while wearing the Faculty Nametag, he will let them pass without requiring an item. More than 180 seconds later while occupying the same spot, he will disappear, stating that he is bored.
It's a Bully is stationary and only blocks one hallway at a time. He can be a problem if the player is running from Baldi and the Bully just so happens to get in the way. The player must keep in mind that It's a Bully will take any of their items, so they must be willing to give up any of the said items. Additionally, It's a Bully cannot be pushed by the BSODA spray or Cloudy Copter's wind, nor can he be pushed by Gotta Sweep. Even if he gets hit by Beans' bubble gum, the gum wad will not appear. He can even block the Grappling Hook if using it at him.
It's a Bully blocks the vision of other characters, similar to the Dirty Chalk Eraser, so NPCs such as Baldi will ignore the player if It's a Bully is in between them.
If Principal of the Thing spots It's a Bully asking for an item from the player, he will send him to detention and open up the path that he was blocking, allowing the player to pass, with It's a Bully not appearing until 90 seconds of cooldown has passed. When the Principal sends It's a Bully to detention, It's a Bully will be teleported to the center of the Principal's office and he disappears immediately, claiming that he is bored. However, even after he is sent to detention, he can still take an item if the player is on the same spot as him.
It's a Bully appeared in the camping field trip until Baldi's Basics Plus V0.3. He would hide behind a forest tree and stalk the player while not being looked at. Once he catches up to the player, he will come out from behind the tree , take all of the player's logs and flee away with the tree hovering above his head. The player must avoid him, and a good way to know if he is there is checking to see if a tree appears to be moving by looking away and back quickly, or checking to see It's a Bully's arm sticking out from behind a tree. Unlike the main appearance, the player can actually push back It's a Bully with a BSODA.
It's a Bully only appears in the Grapple Challenge and he can take the Grappling Hook in the first slot from the player's inventory. However, since the Grappling Hook will respawn in their inventory right after he steals it, the player can still make progress.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic, It's a Bully spawns in a few preset spots and takes much longer to disappear before spawning in another hallway. It's a Bully first spawns in front of the exit that the player starts the game at.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, he has the same appearance in Classic. Additionally, the "THIS IS A BULLY" text on the top-left is changed to "THIS IS A PARTY". Other than that, It's a Bully does not appear to wear any relevant birthday accessories. When the player reaches the last exit found in the cafeteria after collecting all seven notebooks, he will appear with the original cast to shout a surprise, but he will tell the player to give him a gift instead.
- In Baldi's Basics - Field Trip demo: Camping, It's a Bully can move even when the player does not have any logs. Also, he may move even if the player is looking at him.
- There is a formerly unused image called "
PlaceFace" in the Baldi's Basics Classic/Birthday Bash files which appears to be a non-distorted version of the Bully's head, seen in screenshots on mystman12's Twitter. The
PlaceFacecan be found in
TestRoom. The final model of It's a Bully's head does seem to use the distorted water effect. The unused image was later recycled as a stand-alone character, who first debuts in Field Trip demo: Camping behind a secret swinging door outside of the map.
- It's a Bully's deformed head is inspired from mystman12's "I'm a CGI Pro Now!" video at timestamp 0:20 while "testing"
- The line "I'm gonna take your candy..." was inspired by the YouTube video "preschool bully" by PilotRedSun, a YouTuber that mystman12 is a huge fan of, according to mystman12 during his stream on playing his own game for the first time. All of It's a Bully's voice lines have a similar echo effect applied to his last words.
- It's a Bully's model was created by mystman12 three years before the development of Baldi's Basics Classic, seeing that he made a short animation of the model walking on December 6, 2015.
- Along with Baldi, It's a Bully was voiced by mystman12 in the "Baldi gets bullied" video.
- The font for "THIS IS A BULLY" or "THIS IS A PARTY" text is GIMP's sans-serif with anti-aliasing turned off and a font size of 18px.
- In the poster description of It's a Bully in the Principal's office, the Schoolhouse and the Super Schoolhouse are named as "here school". The first and second words do not start with capital letters. Though in some online Baldi's Basics merchandise descriptions and mystman12's comment, both words are capitalized.
- It's a Bully could possibly be considered the exact opposite of Playtime, evidence being:
- Playtime is an active, energetic student, while It's a Bully is stationary and lazy.
- Playtime, despite being small, is far more of a challenge to deal with than It's a Bully.
- Playtime is generally good-natured and does not understand the player's danger, while It's a Bully is greedy and selfish, and shows no remorse for the player regardless of whether Baldi is behind them or not.
- Playtime's hair is messy and unkempt, while It's a Bully possibly has straight, neatly-combed hair.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- It's a Bully's poster in the Principal's office actually has the letter "A" from the text "THIS IS A BULLY" on his sprite in the top left corner.
- According to his description in the Principal's office, It's a Bully's presence is considered necessary. Ironically, one of the rules on the school rules poster states "No bullying".
- When It's a Bully disappears after an encounter is not being used, he is stored underneath the map alongside other currently unused or disappeared items. This can be found through hacking or a rare glitch when 1st Prize pushes the player while teleported by any character.
- In the game's files, his sprite is named "
bully_final", which indicates that he may have had different appearances planned.
- It's a Bully, Chalkles, and The Test are the only characters not to visit the party event. This is most likely because It's a Bully is stationary and teleports around the school, while Chalkles only appears in classrooms.
- Chalkles is also immune to Beans' gum.
- Prior to V0.3.3, in the Grapple Challenge, It's a Bully could not steal a Grappling Hook in the first slot and he would not let the player pass if they only had a Grappling Hook.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- It's a Bully and the Quarter have the same spawn points.
- Prior to V1.3, It's a Bully would not be taken to detention directly upon being spotted by Principal of the Thing. The same thing happened in Baldi's Basics Plus V0.1 to V0.1.2.
- Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash
- The "Give me your gift..." quote is likely inspired by Hungry Pumpkin's line "Give me the (food name)". Hungry Pumpkin was one of the mystman12's favorite memes and the voice in the game is very similar to the one from the original.
- Additionally, in mystman12's livestream, It's a Bully's line, "No, I don't want that." originally comes from the Hungry Pumpkin as well.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- In the camping field trip in V0.1.5, when the player has at least one log and not looking at It's a Bully, he will fall through the ground and flee away from them.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Before V1.1, It's a Bully's spawn time was a lot shorter, and could sometimes spawn on top of the player and caused the game to soft-lock as the player would not "fly" out of his collision, which for some reason did happen with other objects like lockers and walls.
- Before V1.2, a rare bug prevented It's a Bully from spawning.
|I'm gonna take your candy...||When the player approaches It's a Bully.|
|Give me something great...|
|I'll take that! It's mine now...||When It's a Bully steals one of the player's items.|
|Thanks for the generous donation!..|
|What?! No items, no pass...
(What?! No items? No items, no pass...)
|When the player tries to pass him without any items.|
|I'm bored...||When disappearing after standing on the same spot for too long or being sent to the detention by Principal of the Thing.|
- Birthday Bash
|Give me your gift...||Shouting a "surprise" to the player after reaching the cafeteria exit.|
|Give me those sticks...
(I want those sticks...)
|When he steals the player's logs in the camping field trip prior to V0.3.|
|Give me something great. (unedited)||9:34|
|No, I don't want that... I don't hear Baldi anymore... What's that noise?||19:26|
|I wanna take your candy- I'm gonna take your candy.||1:01:35|
|I want those sticks. (unedited)||1:38:26|
- Baldi gets bullied
|Yeah, right... Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi, Baldi...||0:20|
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo
- "Today was pretty slow. I had to create some textures, which was pretty time consuming and the results were pretty meh... Despite that though, the day ended with this, sooooo I'll consider it a success! #MetaGameJam #Gamedev" - mystman12. March 18, 2018. Twitter
- "Well, things are going pretty good so far! I've pretty much got player movement down, and now I'm testing out billboarding sprites (Thanks to the Unity Wiki for the billboarding script!) now. I'm going to look into AI next. #MetaGameJam" - mystman12. March 17, 2018. Twitter
- I'm a CGI Pro Now! | YouTube
- "Nope, just a PRS fan." - mystman12. June 16, 2018. Twitter
- "He says "I'm gonna take your candy...". Yeah, that's completely based off of the PilotRedSun video." - Livestream archive 1:01:35-1:01:43
- "Animation is easy, guys. Stop acting like it's so hard!" - mystman12. December 6, 2015. Twitter
- "New video out! A huge thank you to @mystman12 for voicing Baldi and the Bully, and @PajamaFrix for the 3d models and vhs effect! Super proud of this one :)" - Xploshi. July 13, 2020. Twitter
|About page • Mentioned • Unused/Removed • Comic-exclusive • Category|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive, *: Only mentioned|