|“||Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!||”|
— Gotta Sweep
Gotta Sweep is a giant green angle broom with choppy-edged, dark-colored bristles and a white cap. He has a brown strip (yellow due to light and very patches dithering effect) of tape that covers half of the broom, with two stickers (white and red) on his top.
While Gotta Sweep is based on a real-life broom with a cropped-out background, he appears photoshopped with his handle top shortened a little, brightened and contrasted for supposed clarity, and the bristle areas stretched in width for a resulting distorted edit.
Based on the scaling of Baldi's ruler, Gotta Sweep is about 6.8 feet (207.26 centimeters) tall.
While Gotta Sweep obviously loves his work, Gotta Sweep is also an insubordinate and a chaotic neutral character. While he can accidentally help or hinder students, he is often more of a hindrance than a help for his co-workers (Baldi and Principal of the Thing). He sweeps, not because he is supposed to, but because he wants to, and doesn't care if he helps or bothers others. In short, he isn't mindful, he might be possible he only cares about himself.
Gotta Sweep's vocal lines are all loud and distorted, largely due to the voice actor yelling into the microphone.
Main GameplayAfter Baldi starts chasing the Player, Gotta Sweep will spawn in the Janitor's Closet. Then, 120-180 seconds later, Gotta Sweep can then start moving and yell: "Looks like it's sweepin' time!", before moving out of the Janitor's Closet, dashing around the halls, and sweeping virtually everything in his path.
If any character comes in contact with, Gotta Sweep will yell: "Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!".
As he sweeps the school, he will move very fast until he finishes, at which point he will return to the Janitor's Closet. Sweeping the school takes a total of about thirty seconds. Once he returns to the closet, he will not reappear for another randomly generated time between 120 seconds (2 minutes) to 180 seconds (3 minutes).
Gotta Sweep will push characters and even possibly take them along with his path if they get in his way, excluding few others like It's a Bully and Chalkles. This can either be helpful or harmful, as Gotta Sweep may push the Player either away or closer to Baldi and other characters. He mainly focuses on sweeping all of the hallways but can go into special rooms and two inter-connected Faculty Rooms or Classrooms.
Another thing Gotta Sweep doesn't have is eyesight through windows (like Baldi and Principal of the Thing), which doesn't matter since Gotta Sweep can't enter classrooms on his own.
By using Big Ol' Boots, the Player can walk through Gotta Sweep quicker than usual.
In the farm field trip, if the timer hits between 200 and 400 seconds, a colossal-sized version of Gotta Sweep, with pencil-like razors for bristles and the "I LIKE CORN" text attached, will spawn as he bellows "GOTTA REAP, REAP, REAP!!!". He begins to cut down all the corn across his path and will later cause a hostile Baldi to spawn.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, Gotta Sweep has bristles covered in red, tan, green, and white confetti. After reaching the last Cafeteria exit door, it appears in the Cafeteria with the original cast for a birthday surprise.
- In the public demo, due to his closet being unimplemented, Gotta Sweep starts at one of the Faculty Rooms.
- In Baldi's Basics - Challenges Demo, Gotta Sweep appears exclusively in the Grapple Challenge.
- According to mystman12, during his livestream, he mentioned that the reason that Gotta Sweep sounds similar to Joe from his on-hold project Joe's Ultimate Bus Ride, was because he felt he could not do any more original voices, so he ultimately decided to use his Joe voice from said game.
- Gotta Sweep is actually based on mystman12's broom seen in his Twitter post.
- Gotta Sweep was supposed to be a human but was made a broom because of the time limit to enter the game into Game Jam. mystman12 used Colors! 3D to paint an actual janitor with a PilotRedSun-like style as a concept of Gotta Sweep, however, he didn't like the art because it looked different than what he expected. Gotta Sweep's early art was later reused for 0th Prize in the Birthday Bash edition.
- Gotta Sweep and Baldi are mystman12's favorite characters.
- During mystman12's livestream, Gotta Sweep's line, "GOTTA GO FAST, FAST, FAST!", is likely a reference from the closing theme of Sonic X called "Gotta Go Fast".
- It's possible that he has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) as explained from his loud voice and fast speed.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Walking on Gotta Sweep will cause the Player's movement to slow down. If the Player goes behind Gotta Sweep in the closet while he is inactive, Baldi can actually be slowed or stopped so the Player can have time to walk past him.
- Gotta Sweep may yell "Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!" multiple times in quick succession. mystman12 has said that he didn't expect that to happen, but he thinks that it makes the game a lot of fun.
- Gotta Sweep's appearance in the farm field trip mimics a combine harvester.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Upon teleporting to the Janitor's Closet with hacks during the start of the game, Gotta Sweep was not visibly there. He will only spawn when getting an answer wrong from 1-2 notebooks, just like all the other characters.
- Before V1.4 for the classic edition, Gotta Sweep's sprite was slightly different, with his bristles colored green and lighter-gray. Despite his redesign for the said update, his profile image in the Principal's Office was left unchanged until V1.4.1.
- According to a quote in the tape recorder in the earliest version, Gotta Sweep's gender used to be male.
- However, it is confirmed that Gotta Sweep has a gender according to one of the development logs of Baldi's Basics Plus. Though, there is no in-game description about his gender like Chalkles.
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- A glitch can occur where 1st Prize and Gotta Sweep will both push the Player, causing Gotta Sweep to get stuck inside 1st Prize. As of now, the only known way to fix this glitch is to exit the game.
- Gotta Sweep has a hitbox so large that he can sweep the Player even if there's a thin wall in between them. This can most easily be seen in the back of the Principal's Office.
- Gotta Sweep can occasionally get stuck in corners if he is sweeping characters.
- Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo
- Reaching the third elevator while swept by Gotta Sweep will drastically slow the Player down, making them vulnerable to Baldi. He is because Gotta Sweep gives the Player the slowdown effect while sweeping, but even after Gotta Sweep disappears, the effect is still left.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
|Looks like it's sweepin' time!||Plays when Gotta Sweep leaves the Janitor's Closet.
|Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!||Plays when the Player touches Gotta Sweep, or when Gotta Sweep pushes any character (except It's a Bully).
|GOTTA REAP, REAP, REAP!!!||Plays when Gotta Sweep spawns in the farm field trip.
- Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash
|Surprise!||Plays when the Player reaches the exit door in the cafeteria after collecting 7 notebooks in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash.
|BUZZ||Gotta Sweep's sound as the "Reaper" when reaping the corns in the farm field trip.
- ↑ Imgur
- ↑ "When I was making Gotta Sweep, I was just like I can't do any more voices, so I'll just do the Joe voice." - Livestream archive 15:03~15:10
- ↑ "When time is running out and you have no idea what art style to make the janitor. "I'll just make it a broom." #MetaGameJam" - mystman12. March 30, 2018. Twitter
- ↑ "Gotta Sweep could have ended up being a very different character if I hadn't been so low on time! Before just going with the broom, I tried painting an actual janitor in Colors! 3D. I was trying to go for a PilotRedSun sort of style, but I ended up not liking what I came up with." - mystman12. March 30, 2019. Twitter
- ↑ "I think Baldi would have to be my favorite, since that’s a character I made up years ago, but I think besides that I would have to go with Gotta Sweep." - mystman12. August 3, 2018. INTERVIEWS You call hamburgers steamed hams — Baldi’s Basics in Education and Learning creator on development, burgers by Elisha Deogracias
- ↑ "The first time, I heard Gotta Sweep's going, because I had no idea what's gonna sound like that I lost of it. (It's) making this game so much fun, just like lots of stuffs I wasn't expecting to happen, but I just loved the moment it happens." - Livestream archive 42:00~42:16
- ↑ "I didn't want it to be a carbon copy of the Libman Precision Angle Broom, so I tweaked Gotta Sweep a bit." - mystman12. November 20, 2018. Twitter
- ↑ "All the NPCs except Baldi disappear when you reach the third exit, and I realized that if Gotta Sweep despawned while you were being swept it wouldn't get rid of the slowdown effect. I thought I had fixed this issue, but I guess not. I'm so sorry your run was ruined. I'll fix this though, thanks for reporting it." - Basically Games' comment on Report bugs here! post
|List: About Page • Mentioned Characters • Cut Characters • Comic-Exclusive Characters • Category|