- For the location, see Gotta Sweep's closet.
|“||Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!||”|
— Gotta Sweep, when sweeping the player or other characters
Gotta Sweep is a giant green angle broom with choppy-edged, dark-colored bristles and a white cap. He has a brown strip (yellow due to the dithering effect) of tape that covers half of the broom, with two stickers (white and red) on the top.
While Gotta Sweep is based on a real-life broom with a cropped-out background, he appears photoshopped with his handle top shortened a little, brightened and contrasted for supposed clarity, and the bristle areas stretched in width resulting in a distorted edit.
While Gotta Sweep obviously loves his work, Gotta Sweep is also a troublesome and chaotic neutral character. While he can accidentally help or hinder students, he is often more of a hindrance to his co-workers (Baldi and Principal of the Thing). He sweeps, not because he is supposed to, but because he wants to, and does not care if he helps or bothers others. In short, he is not mindful.
Gotta Sweep's voice lines are all loud and distorted, largely due to the voice actor yelling into the microphone.
After Baldi starts chasing the player, Gotta Sweep will spawn in his closet. Then, 120–180 seconds later, Gotta Sweep can then start moving and yell: "Looks like it's sweepin' time!", before moving out of his closet, dashing around the halls and sweeping almost anything in his path.
If any character comes in contact with Gotta Sweep, he will yell: "Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!".
As he sweeps the Schoolhouse or Super Schoolhouse, he will move very fast until he finishes, at which point he will return to his closet. Sweeping the school takes about thirty seconds. Once he returns to his closet, he will wait for 2 to 3 minutes before sweeping the school again.
Gotta Sweep will push characters and even possibly take them along his path if they get in his way, excluding a few others like It's a Bully and Chalkles. This can either be helpful or harmful, as Gotta Sweep may push the player either away or closer to Baldi and other characters. He mainly focuses on sweeping all of the hallways but can go into any location except for the mystery room.
By using the Big Ol' Boots, the player can walk through Gotta Sweep quicker than usual, but it does not work when he is not moving in Baldi's Basics Plus.
In the farm field trip prior to Baldi's Basics Plus V0.3, if 150–350 seconds have passed, a colossal-sized version of Gotta Sweep, with pencil-like razors for bristles, the "I LIKE CORN" text attached to it, and a short handle, would spawn as he yelled "GOTTA REAP, REAP, REAP!!!". He began to cut down all the corn across his path and would cause a hostile Baldi to spawn after he passed by the player.
- Gotta Sweep exclusively appears in the Grapple Challenge.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic, Gotta Sweep can only wander in hallways, faculty rooms, and his closet.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, Gotta Sweep has the same appearance in Classic. Additionally, he has bristles covered in red, tan, green, and white confetti. After reaching the last exit door in the cafeteria, he appears in the same place with the original cast for a birthday surprise.
- In Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo, due to his closet being unimplemented, Gotta Sweep spawns in one of the faculty rooms.
- Upon teleporting to Gotta Sweep's closet with hacks during the start of the game, Gotta Sweep is not visibly there. He will only spawn when Baldi finishes his countdown in Baldi's Basics Plus or the player gets an answer wrong from 1-2 notebooks in Classic/Birthday Bash, just like all the other characters.
- According to mystman12, during his livestream, he mentioned that the reason that Gotta Sweep sounds similar to Joe from his on-hold project Joe's Ultimate Bus Ride was because he felt he could not do any more original voices, so he ultimately decided to use his Joe voice from said game.
- Gotta Sweep is actually based on mystman12's broom seen in his Twitter post.
- Gotta Sweep was supposed to be a human but was made a broom because of the time limit to enter the game into the Meta Game Jam. mystman12 used Colors! 3D to paint an actual janitor with a PilotRedSun-like style as a concept of Gotta Sweep, however, he didn't like the art because it looked different than what he expected. Gotta Sweep's early art was later reused for
0th Prizein Birthday Bash.
- Gotta Sweep and Baldi are mystman12's favorite characters.
- During mystman12's livestream, Gotta Sweep's line, "GOTTA GO FAST, FAST, FAST!", is likely a reference from the closing theme of Sonic X called "Gotta Go Fast".
- mystman12 said that Gotta Sweep's greatest life achievement was cleaning the whole cafeteria floor until it was spotless in three minutes and eight seconds, one day after a food fight.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Walking on Gotta Sweep will cause the player's movement to slow down. If the player goes behind Gotta Sweep in his closet while he is inactive, Baldi can actually be slowed or stopped so the player can have time to walk past him.
- Gotta Sweep may yell "Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!" multiple times in quick succession. mystman12 has said that he did not expect that to happen, but he thinks that it makes the game a lot of fun.
- Gotta Sweep's appearance in the farm field trip prior to V0.3 vaguely resembles a combine harvester.
- If Gotta Sweep is pushed by a BSODA, he can slightly clip through the wall in other locations, slowing down characters that pass by him.
- Prior to V0.3.5, there was a grammatical error in his description in the Principal's office. (open instead of opens)
- Baldi's Basics Classic
- Before V1.4, Gotta Sweep's sprite was slightly different, with his bristles colored green and lighter-gray. Despite his redesign for the said update, his profile image in the Principal's office was left unchanged before V1.4.1.
- According to a quote in the tape recorder in the earliest version, Gotta Sweep's gender used to be male.
- However, it is confirmed that Gotta Sweep has a gender according to the V0.1.2 update log of Baldi's Basics Plus. Though, there is no in-game description about his gender like Chalkles.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- While sweeping, Gotta Sweep often stops in place for an unknown reason.
- In the Grapple Challenge in V0.3.3, Gotta Sweep spawned in a hallway far away from his closet.
- Baldi's Basics Classic/Birthday Bash
- A glitch can occur where 1st Prize and Gotta Sweep will both push the player, causing Gotta Sweep to get stuck inside 1st Prize. As of now, the only known way to fix this glitch is to exit the game or get caught by Baldi.
- Gotta Sweep's hitbox is so large that he can sweep the player even if there is a thin wall in between them. This can most easily be seen in the back of the Principal's office.
- Gotta Sweep can occasionally get stuck in corners if he is sweeping other characters.
- Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo
- In V1.0, reaching the third elevator while swept by Gotta Sweep would drastically slow the player down, making them vulnerable to Baldi. It happened because Gotta Sweep gave the player the slowdown effect while sweeping, but even after Gotta Sweep disappeared, the effect wasn't gone.
|Looks like it's sweepin' time!||Plays when Gotta Sweep leaves his closet.
|Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!||Plays when the player touches Gotta Sweep, or when Gotta Sweep pushes any character (except for It's a Bully and Chalkles).
- Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash
|Surprise!||Plays when the player reaches the exit door in the cafeteria after collecting 7 notebooks in Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash.
|GOTTA REAP, REAP, REAP!!! (unused caption)||Plays when Gotta Sweep spawns in the farm field trip prior to Baldi's Basics Plus V0.3.
|N/A||Gotta Sweep's motor loop as the "Reaper" when reaping the corns in the farm field trip prior Baldi's Basics Plus to V0.3.
|BUZZ||When the corn is reaped. The color the caption was green instead of dark green because Baldi uses the same sound when catching the player.
- Other textures
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Baldi's Basics Classic
this.waitTime = UnityEngine.Random.Range(120f, 180f);- Coding scripts
- "When I was making Gotta Sweep, I was just like I can't do any more voices, so I'll just do the Joe voice." - Livestream archive 15:03-15:10
- "When time is running out and you have no idea what art style to make the janitor. "I'll just make it a broom." #MetaGameJam" - mystman12. March 30, 2018. Twitter
- "Gotta Sweep could have ended up being a very different character if I hadn't been so low on time! Before just going with the broom, I tried painting an actual janitor in Colors! 3D. I was trying to go for a PilotRedSun sort of style, but I ended up not liking what I came up with." - mystman12. March 30, 2019. Twitter
- "I think Baldi would have to be my favorite, since that’s a character I made up years ago, but I think besides that I would have to go with Gotta Sweep." - mystman12. August 3, 2018. INTERVIEWS You call hamburgers steamed hams — Baldi’s Basics in Education and Learning creator on development, burgers by Elisha Deogracias
- "One day after a food fight, Gotta Sweep cleaned entire the cafeteria floor in three minutes and eight seconds. It was spotless." - Gmail
- "The first time, I heard Gotta Sweep's going, because I had no idea what's gonna sound like that I lost of it, making this game so much fun, just like lots of stuffs I wasn't expecting to happen, but I just loved the moment it happens." - Livestream archive 42:00-42:16
- "I didn't want it to be a carbon copy of the Libman Precision Angle Broom, so I tweaked Gotta Sweep a bit." - mystman12. November 20, 2018. Twitter
- "All the NPCs except Baldi disappear when you reach the third exit, and I realized that if Gotta Sweep despawned while you were being swept it wouldn't get rid of the slowdown effect. I thought I had fixed this issue, but I guess not. I'm so sorry your run was ruined. I'll fix this though, thanks for reporting it." - Basically Games' comment on Report bugs here! post
|About page • Mentioned • Unused/Removed • Comic-exclusive • Category|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive, *: Only mentioned|