This feature was added as a way to convert sounds and voices into text that the player could see. The captions change in direction and size based on where the sound is coming from and how far the source of the sound is from the player.
- Baldi: Green, White, or Dark Green
- Playtime: Red
- It's a Bully: Orange
- Principal of the Thing: Blue
- 1st Prize: Cyan or White
- Gotta Sweep: Dark Green
- Beans: Pink
- Mrs. Pomp: Yellow or White
- Arts and Crafters, Chalkles, Cloudy Copter, The Test, Johnny, and other sounds with asterisks (*) and so on: White
- Grappling Hook: Green
- Note: Describing sound effects/where the audio plays will be put in parentheses "( )". "
File name" will appear as a key of the caption, showing that the key has a missing value or the key is currently used in-game instead of the corresponding value. Bold text is what the captioned audio actually sounds like (in case the caption is incorrect) or the corresponding value when the key is currently used in-game instead. Italics describe unused captions.
- Voice lines
- Oh, hi! Let's play hide and seek!
- Oh, hi! Welcome to my schoolhouse!
- Ready or not, here I come!
- You're good! Let's keep playing!
- What fun! Goo-
- An Apple? For me? Thanks!
- run (Rare sound when Baldi is eating An Apple)
- Aha! You got it!
- Great job! That's right!
- Good one!
- You're doing fantastic!
- I can't believe it! You're incredible!
- Woah, you might be smarter than me!
- Woah, I think you might be smarter than me!
- Let's go camping!
- All right, all set! I'll go set up the bear traps! I want you to keep the fire going. Go out into the woods to collect firewood, then bring it back to refuel the fiiire. The bigger the fire is, the more points you'll earn! Alright, go for it!
- Night is coming, so we need to keep these fires burning!
- Help me put the right amount of firewood into each fiiire!
- There's a number on each fire and a math problem on each group of firewoods!
- Use your mouse to swap the fires around so that the firewood falls in the fires with the matching answers!
- Try again!
- Let's add another fiiire!
- Wow! Thanks for the help! Now we're ready for the night!
- Let's go to the farm!
- Welcome to the farm!
- Farmer needs our help to get the animals in the barn!
- I'll tell you what animal we need.
- Then you'll need to find all the matching animals and bring them to the barn.
- Just click on an animal to pick it up. Then move it through the maze and into the barn!
- Alright! Let's get started!
- Bring the animal that makes this sound to the barn!
- Wow! Fantastic! The farmer gave you these items as thanks!
- You beat my game!
- You learned a lot!
- It's good you came,
- 'cuz you were taught!
- Now that you know
- to use your brain!
- I'll let you go
- 'til you come again!
- Thanks for playing, come back soon!
- Voice lines
- I wanna play with someone!
- Let's play!
- Ready? Go!
- Oops! You messed up!
- Wow! That's great! Let's play again... Sometime soon!
- Oh! That makes me sad!
Arts and Crafters
It's a Bully
- I'm gonna take your candy...
- Give me something great...
- I'll take that! It's mine now...
- Thanks for the generous donation!..
- What?! No items, no pass...
- What?! No items? No items, no pass...
- I'm bored...
- Give me those sticks...
- I want those sticks...
Principal of the Thing
- Voice lines
- No running in the halls!
- No bullying in the halls!
- No drinking drinks in the halls!
- No eating food in the halls!
- No escaping detention in the halls!
- No entering faculty only rooms in the halls!
- No entering school faculty only rooms in the halls!
- No looking in other people's lockers in the halls!
- No stabbing people with unused dialogue in the halls!
- No stabbing people with pencils in the halls!
- No being in school after-hours in the halls!
- 15 seconds
- 20 seconds
- 25 seconds
- 30 seconds
- 35 seconds
- 40 seconds
- 45 seconds
- 50 seconds
- 55 seconds
- 60 seconds
- 99 seconds
- detention for you!
- You should know better.
- When will you learn?
- Your parents will hear about this one!
- Don't make me do this again!
- Don't worry, I'm coming!
- Voice lines
- I AM COMING READY OR NOR HERE I COME
- I SEE YOU - FRIEND
- I HUG PEOPLE FOR ALL ETERNITY
- WILL YOU MARRY ME
- I HAVE LOST YOU - I DON'T LIKE THAT
- OH - no
- I AM LOOKING FOR YOU
- I HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED TO DESIRE YOUR IMAGE
- *Motor running*
- Crash! (Window breaking)
- Voice lines
- Looks like it's sweepin' time!
- Gotta, sweep sweep sweep!
- GOTTA REAP, REAP, REAP!!!
- *WIND BLOWING*
- *ANNOYING LAUGHTER*
- Voice lines
- Does anyone wanna see somethin' cool?
- Hooka, a-chew, I'mma chewin' mah gum.
- Booka, a-too, it's tons o' fum... Er, fun!
- I skip all day, I say-I say, I skip to push the pain away!
- One, two, buckle my shoe. Three, four, I've got gum for you!
- Say, who's lookin' to see a neat trick?
- Feast your eyes while I feast on mah gum!
- Hey you, watch this!
- Prepare yourself for something awesome!
- Psst! Don't let the grownups spot this.
- Watch the pro go to work!
- I can't look!
- Gum on the loose!
- Heads up!
- Oh no!
- Sorry in advance!
- Watch out!
- Hippity hey, look at the time; I need to fetch some more rhyme.
- Huh, so maybe that's why they held me back.
- Skip away, skip away, it'll go away.
- Welp, I was never here!
- Aw, casserole.
- I'll be sent to the guy of the Thing, smacking my head 'n' causing a ring!
- They're gonna be so mad at me, I'm so sorry!
- Time to bounce, time to flee, before they throw the book at me!
- Uh... nope.
- *BUBBLE BLOWING*
- *SPITS GUM*
- Voice lines
- You there!
- Just reminding you to be at my class in
- Check your map to see where my class is.
- minutes left.
- Just in time!
- Time's up...
- WHYYYYYYY WEREN'T YOU AT MY CLAAAAAAASSS?!?!?!
- Class dismissed!
- *Humming noise*
- Hi, I'm Johnny!
- Welcome to my store!
- This will fill out your map.
- This will fill out your map for the next level.
- Consider your map filled!
- No way you'll get lost now!
- There's no way you'll get lost now!
- You can expel someone for the rest of your game!
- Who do you wanna expel?
- Alright, I'll take care of it.
- Okay, I'll let them know.
- You are a JERK!
- Lookin' like you ain't learnin'!
- Try again when you have You Thought Points.
- Try again when you have more You Thought Points.
- You can't afford that!
- Come back when you're a little... MMM- Richer!
- I love those!
- That could come in handy!!
- Totally worth the price!
- Thank you! Now I might not starve!
- Thank you! My parents would have been so proud that I made a sale.
- Thanks, I hated that item anyways!
- Thanks for nothing!
- I didn't realy want food today anyways...
- See ya later. I'll still be here!
- Thank you for shopping!
- You're my favorite customer. See ya!
- Say hi to Baldi for me!
- You break it, you buy it! ...I'm usually the one who breaks it though.
- *BUZZ* (Wrong answer)
- Ding! (Right answer)
- *Fire crackling*
- *Conveyor belt running*
- *Door opens*
- *SLAM!* (Door closed)
- *BUZZ* (Elevator's noise when a button shows up)
- *Elevator closes*
- *Elevator opens
- *SLAM!* (Gate's closing noise)
- *Elevator noises* (Elevator's running noise)
- *Elevator stops*
- *Door motor running*
- *THUD* (Lockdown door closed/opened)
Pay phone and Tape player
- *Annoying noise* (While active)
- *Roto hall turning*
- *Roto hall stops turning*
- *Swinging door opens*
- *Ticking* (in action)
- *Alarm clock RIIIING!* (ringing)
- Not here. (Invalid place to use this item)
- *Slap!* (when the poster is placed)
- *SNAP* (snapping sound)
- A notebook respawned! (Endless Mode)
- *RIIIING!* (When an event is about to begin)
- *Whirlpool gurgling*
- *Wholesome party music*
- *Crickest chirping*
- Elephant hit
- *Dryer running?*
- The caption feature was posted in the Twitter and Kickstarter update page before the release of Baldi's Basics Plus.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Currently, the caption text is not pixelated.
- In the json file, there is a value for
Playtime Instructions, but it is currently empty.
- Not all the sounds will appear as captions. The example is the whistle sound from the Principal Whistle, although there is a value in the json file.
- Prior to V0.1.2, the Grappling Hook's caption was black. It was changed to green, likely because the audio is made by Baldi, when the broken ruler event starts.
- Since V0.1.3, all the missing captions now only say the file name of the sound.
- Prior to V0.1.5, when the fog event starts, the "8" caption used to show up.
- A file for French captions exists, but it is incomplete and unused as of now.
- mystman12 stated that non-directional captions will be added at the moment captions can tell the player where characters are. These captions were later added in V0.3.3.
- Prior to V0.3.6, captions were called subtitles in the option menu.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- When Principal of the Thing gave the player a 60-second detention, the captions showed 50 seconds instead. This also happened when the player got a 65-second detention. The captions would instead show 99 seconds. Both errors were fixed in V0.1.2.
- Despite the fact that all the sounds are muted in the library, the captions used to show up. It no longer happens since V0.1.2, if the player is not close to the outside.
- Prior to V0.3.3, captions did not disappear when pausing the game.
- "Here's something new that I just got pretty much fully working: Subtitles! They change location and sized based on the direction and distance of the sound's location. I did this because listening for noises and where they're coming from is an important aspect of Baldi's Basics." - mystman12. October 18, 2018. Twitter
- Status Update #2 - Building a Foundation | Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning - Full game! | November 3, 2018 | Kickstarter
- "Fixed Johnny's subtitles (They are disabled now, as they aren't important for gameplay. Once I set up a system for non-directional subtitles, I will re-implement them)." - Version 0.2.2 Changelog (Also 0.2.1)
|Inventory • Item counter • Stamina • Timer|
|Configuration • Control • Option • Save system|
|Credits • Game over • Map • Pause menu • Other screens|
|Score points • You Thought Points|
|Achievements • Ambience • Captions • Lives • Red lights • School rules|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive|