|“||Does anyone wanna see somethin' cool?||”|
Beans is a 2D-drawn human with a big mouth with a big gaping, toothless, gum-less, toilet-shaped lower jaw, a thin upper lip made as a black line, exposed gums, and five crooked teeth on his upper jaw. He wears a purple and yellow striped propeller beanie cap, hence the name Beans. He has bulging eyes, crooked teeth, floating flat eyebrows, and a massive chin. His arms are short and has four fingers on each hand. He wears a sleeveless bubblegum-pink shirt, deep magenta pants, and dark magenta pointed shoes. His chin appears to have some stubble.
He speaks with a distorted, echoing "mechanical" voice which can almost make all of his quotes difficult to understand what he's actually saying unless the captions are enabled.
Beans likes to "impress" others by blowing out bubble gum bubbles but warns the people to not let an adult see it, meaning that if he does it, he will get detention, but currently in-game, he does not. He also enjoys rhyming, and is apparently very good at it. He is very honorable, being afraid of his bubble gum hitting the player. Also, he seems to have some shame after his bubble gum hits the player or an NPC.
Upon the player coming into his line of sight, Beans will spit a big pink bubble gum wad to them in any location, mostly in the hallways. Whoever comes in contact with the gum wad, whether it be the player or another NPC, will be caught in the sticky gum and have their movement speed drastically reduced for 10 seconds. Upon getting hit by a gum wad, the player will be vulnerable to pursuing characters, including Baldi, Playtime, Principal of the Thing, etc. The player's inventory is also covered by bubble gum, making it hard to know which item is selected. However, the Safety Scissors can be used to cut off Beans' bubble gum if getting hit by it. It's a Bully, Chalkles, and Beans himself are the only characters who are immune to his bubble gum.
Beans can be helpful on some occasions, as his bubble gum can slow riskier characters (e.g. Baldi and Principal of the Thing) down. The bubble gum can go through doors (only when open) and normal swinging doors. If the Portal Poster is placed, it can go through the portal as well.
- In Baldi's Basics Kickstarter Exclusive Demo and before Baldi's Basics Plus V0.1.2, Beans' AI is not majorly different but his sticky gum slows the player down much more than usual and cannot be cut off with Safety Scissors.
- Beans was first made as a character for Padre's Baldi's Basics fangame. The concept was done by Malitschek (Jam).
- Beans is around 25 to 30 of an unknown unit of age, most likely years.
- Despite this, he is still a student who has been held back for that long due to him being bad at math.
- Beans has dyscalculia, a disability that affects one's ability to comprehend and learn arithmetic. This explains why Beans was held back for many years considering Baldi's school only teaches math. This information was confirmed by Padre Snowmizzle in a Discord chat group when asked if Beans experiences this disorder.
- In case Beans is 30 years old, he would be older than Baldi, whose age is confirmed to be 29 years old.
- According to Padre Snowmizzle, he made a 3D model of Beans.
- Beans' "glitchy" voice effect was made by Sony Vegas Pro 13.
- Beans was originally be going to a counterpart of the player. Padre Snowmizzle gave an example for this as Beans would spray BSODA at them.
- One of the lines when his bubble gum hits an NPC, "Aw, casserole.", is from Beans' bad memory about casserole.
- The name Beans was derived from the phrase "beans and casserole".
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Beans is the first character not to be designed and one of the five characters not to be voiced by mystman12 (the other four being 1st Prize, Chalkles, Mrs. Pomp, and Johnny) but someone else, who is Padre Snowmizzle.
- Beans's gum is nearly identical to the BSODA spray, although the functionality when touched is different.
- Principal of the Thing scolding Beans for spitting bubble gum is intended feature, but it is not implemented in the game yet.
- Since the V0.1.2 update, the gum does not slow the player down as much, and the player can use Safety Scissors on the gum.
- Prior to V0.3, in the "Hooka, a-chew, I'mma chewin' mah gun. Booka, a-too, it's tons o'fum... Er, fun!" caption, the word "gum" was misspelled as "gun".
- The player is able to avoid Beans' gum if it is shot slightly off center down a hallway.
- In the game's caption json file, there are two captions of no existing audios in the game: *BUBBLE BLOWING* and *SPLAT*.
- Beans is one of the few characters that can slow the player's movement (but not completely stop them), in which the Big Ol' Boots will not let the player regain their normal speed.
- When Beans goes to the Principal's office for the party event, his sprite will float in mid-air once he stands idle, but when he spits gum, it will shoot from the same height.
- Beans' bubble gum can go through swinging doors, even if it is closed.
- Even though Beans' bubble gum does not visually stick to certain NPCs like Playtime, it does affect their speed. This can easily be seen when any character is gummed while in opposite gravity.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Before V0.1.2, if the player activated the captions, when Beans says "Gum on the loose!" or "Oh no!", the caption used to say: "
Localized text not found".
- Prior to V0.3, Beans' bubble gum would not hit the player when the interaction icon () appeared on the nearest structures, like the water fountain.
- If the player is in Beans' hitbox, the bubble gum will not hit the player.
- In V0.3.5, Beans' bubble gum could pass through a window, even if it was not broken.
- Prior to V0.3.6, Beans' bubble gum overlay was still seen when opening an advanced map. In V0.3.5, the bubble gum overlay was only seen inside of the You Can Think Pad.
|Say, who's lookin' to see a neat trick?||While idle.|
|One, two, buckle my shoe. Three, four, I've got gum for you!|
|Does anyone wanna see somethin' cool?|
|I skip all day, I say-I say, I skip to push the pain away!|
|Hooka, a-chew, I'mma chewin' mah gum.|
|Booka, a-too, it's tons o' fum... Er, fun!|
|Hey you, watch this!||When Beans spots the player.|
|Prepare yourself for something awesome!|
|Psst! Don't let the grownups spot this.|
|Watch the pro go to work!|
|Feast your eyes while I feast on mah gum!|
|Oh no!||After spitting the bubble gum.|
|Gum on the loose!*|
|I can't look!|
|Sorry in advance!|
|Huh, so maybe that's why they held me back.||When the gum hits the player.|
|Welp, I was never here!|
|Hippity hey, look at the time; I need to fetch some more rhyme.|
|Skip away, skip away, it'll go away.|
|I'll be sent to the guy of the Thing, smacking my head 'n' causing a ring!||When the gum hits an NPC.|
|Time to bounce, time to flee, before they throw the book at me!|
|They're gonna be so mad at me, I'm so sorry!|
|*SPITS GUM*||When Beans spits the bubble gum.|
|TBA||*BUBBLE BLOWING*||Likely plays when he is blowing a bubble gum.|
|TBA||*SPLAT*||Likely plays when the gum wad splats on the player or an NPC.|
- HOW TO BEAT BALDI'S HIDE AND SEEK
- "Fun fact, as well: Beans was a character whipped up for a spoof Baldi fangame idea way back when. I would like to give credit where credit is due, though, and say that @malitschek was my main man in the first few iterations of Beans. Without JAM, the concept wouldn't even exist!" - Padre Snowmizzle. March 15, 2020. Twitter
- "Beans' age is in the ballpark of 25-30." - Padre Snowmizzle. August 7, 2020. Twitter
- "He is indeed a student still, just held back for *that* long for constantly sucking at math, lol." - Padre Snowmizzle. August 8, 2020. Twitter
- "To be quite frank, I had no clue that word remotely existed until you mentioned it but sure, lmao. Beans can do great with English, and to an extend, Drama. But because Baldi's school only teaches math, the dude's screwed" - Padre Snowmizzle. August 2020. Discord
- "Plus, technically speaking, there does exist a 3D model of Beans made by me :)))" - Padre Snowmizzle. May 21, 2022. Discord
- "Q: You used voicemod for beans voice? / A: Nope. I recorded raw, and all I did was apply his glitchy effect in Sony Vegas Pro 13, of all things. Myst applied the dithering after" - Padre Snowmizzle. May 21, 2022. Discord
- "Then when it came to actually brainstorming Beans with Myst, originally he'd be what could considered your counterpart: he'd be able to vomit B-soda at YOU" - Padre Snowmizzle. May 21, 2022. Discord
- "And uh, that very thing he vomited would be casserole, which relates to one of his lines, originally made for that fangame, lol." - Padre Snowmizzle. May 21, 2022. Discord
- "Ah, Beans was a result of, "beans and casserole"" - Padre Snowmizzle. May 21, 2022. Discord
- "In case it ain't obvious enough yet: yep, I made a character for Baldi's Basics. He's the gum-chewing, held-back, skipping spunk we all know and love: Beans. My thanks go out to @mystman12!" - Padre Snowmizzle. March 15, 2020. Twitter
- "Q: baldi's basics logic is just beans spitting a gum at you or at any character (even principal) and not get detention like player or bully does / A: That was also going to be an intended feature, but never got implemented" - Padre Snowmizzle. May 21, 2022. Discord
|About page • Mentioned • Unused/Removed • Comic-exclusive • Category|
|Underlined: Unreleased, Italic: Non-Plus exclusive, *: Only mentioned|