|“||Go camping with Baldi in this new demo!||”|
Baldi's Basics - Field Trip demo: Camping or Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning: Field Trip Demo! was a demo introducing field trips that would be in Baldi's Basics Plus created by Basically, Games!. Since Baldi's Basics Plus V0.3, this demo has been removed from itch.io due to being an outdated version of field trips before the following update.
In this field trip, you go camping with Baldi. Your goal is to keep the fire alive for three minutes. You can play it safe by throwing small amounts of firewood onto the fire, or you can take a riskier strategy by trying to gather a lot of pieces of firewood and throw them in all at once. Extra fuel gets converted into big points! Of course, in the full game, higher scores will get you better rewards!
The player spawns in a small version of the Super Schoolhouse where two hallways are cut off by walls that say "The demo ends here.". One of these textures has no collision, and leads to a small walkway and a series of similar textures that say, "...No, seriously, that's it." "STOP! There's nothing else!" "You'll regret this...". At the end of the hallway, Principal of the Thing stands idly and says "No breaking the fourth wall in the halls!", when the player comes near. Even after the Principal scolds the player, he will not send them to detention.
The player can walk outside through the swinging doors, where they will see Baldi in a camping outfit standing in front of a poorly drawn school bus. If the player walks close enough to it, they will be teleported to a small clearing in a dark forest that has a campfire in the center. It's a Bully and Arts and Crafters also come on the trip, as they are seen at the campsite, although not seen boarding the bus. Once Baldi and the player arrive at the campsite, Baldi will instruct the player to gather logs to keep the fire going while Baldi sets up bear traps.
Holding large amounts of logs slows the player down significantly, increasing the time it takes to travel from location to location. During game play, points automatically increase as long as the fire is burning, and that increase slows down the dimmer the fire gets. Logs do not respawn, so the player will be forced to venture further out into the woods as the game progresses. This makes it incredibly easy to lose sight of the campfire, leaving the player lost with nothing to do but to get caught by Baldi. Multiple factors indicate how much time remains before the fire goes completely out, such as the deepening tone of the chirping crickets ambience, and the points gained per second being less than 30.
If the fire becomes bright enough, a character named Cloudy Copter will float down from the sky and attempt to blow out the fire. The player can scare Cloudy Copter away by walking near it. It's a Bully will hide behind one of the trees in the forest. He slowly follows the player while they are not looking and takes their sticks if he reaches them. Arts and Crafters can be found if the player goes past the "NO" signs and stays there for 10 seconds or more. He quickly circles around the player until caught, teleporting them back to the campfire and taking away their sticks in the process.
Baldi will leave the player alone as long as the fire burns, but will aggressively chase them down as soon as it goes out. Because following his instructions will keep him docile, the demo is the first installment in the series where the player's choices determine whether or not Baldi is a threat. This also somewhat justifies Baldi's actions when he gives chase, as the player has failed their objective. However, corporal punishment for failure to maintain a light source, similar to failing a math problem, is viewable as "disproportionate retribution".
- Two preview teaser images were released by mystman12 before the release of the demo.
- In V1.0, the only characters in the demo were Baldi, Principal of the Thing, and the player. The "NO" signs were absent as well as the forest texture on the edges of the map.
- The player could walk outside the boundaries of the map through a large gap in front of Baldi's Bus. This allowed them to be able to see a secret hidden behind the map, where
PlaceFacehides behind a swinging door texture next to two "NO" signs. This Easter egg was added in V1.1.
- If pausing during a speaking line, the audio would continue until it normally ended.
- The bonus after completing a demo is different depending on the final score after the timer is over. However, the player cannot get those rewards because the game automatically turns into the Kickstarter promotion screen. The rewards are:
- "Sorry, I'm not planning on bringing it back since it no longer represents what the field trips are like." - mystman12. December 14, 2020. Twitter
- "Let's go camping!" - mystman12. July 10, 2018. Twitter
- "Well, I was hoping to have a thing ready by today, but sadly stuff is taking a little bit longer than I thought. Hopefully early next week! Also, disclaimer, it's not Baldi's Basics 2, but it is Baldi and there *will* be something new to play! Anyways, have another teaser:" - mystman12. July 20, 2018. Twitter
|Underlined: Unreleased, |