|“||Go camping with Baldi in this new demo!||”|
— Demo page
In this field trip, you go camping with Baldi. Your goal is to keep the fire alive for three minutes. You can play it safe by throwing small amounts of firewood onto the fire, or you can take a riskier strategy by trying to gather a lot of pieces of firewood and throw them in all at once. Extra fuel gets converted into big points! Of course, in the full game, higher scores will get you better rewards!
The Player spawns in a small version of the school where two hallways are cut off by walls that say "The demo ends here.". One of these textures has no collision, and leads to a small walkway and series of similar textures that say, "...No, seriously, that's it." "STOP! There's nothing else!" "You'll regret this...". At the end of the hallway, Principal of the Thing stands idly and says "No breaking the fourth wall in the halls.", when the Player comes near.
The Player can walk outside through the swinging doors, where they will see Baldi in a camping outfit standing in front of a poorly drawn school bus. If the Player walks close enough to the school bus, they will be teleported to a small clearing in a forest that has campfire in the center. It's a Bully and Arts and Crafters also come on the trip, as they are seen at the campsite, although not seen boarding the bus. Once Baldi and the Player arrive at the campsite, Baldi will instruct the Player to gather firewood to keep the fire going while Baldi sets up bear traps.
Holding large amounts of firewood slows the Player down significantly, increasing the time it takes to travel from location to location. During game play, points automatically increase as long as the fire is burning, and the increase slows down the dimmer the fire gets. Firewood does not respawn, so the Player will be forced to venture further out into the woods as the game progresses. This makes it incredibly easy to lose sight of the campfire, leaving the Player lost with nothing to do but be caught by Baldi. Multiple factors indicate how much time remains before the fire goes completely out, such as the deepening tone of the chirping crickets ambience, and the points auto-gain going slowing to below 30 per second.
If the fire becomes bright enough, a character named Cloudy Copter will float down from the sky and attempt to blow out the fire. The Player can scare Cloudy Copter away by walking near it. It's a Bully will hide behind one of trees in the forest. He slowly follows the Player while their back is turned and takes their sticks if he reaches them. Arts and Crafters can be found if the Player ventures too deep into the forest, past the "NO" signs. He quickly circles around the Player until caught, teleporting them back to the campfire and taking away their sticks in the process.
Baldi will leave the Player alone as long as the fire burns, but will aggressively chase them down as soon as it goes out. Because following his instructions will keep him docile, the demo is the first installment in the series where the Player's choices determine whether or not he is a threat. This also somewhat justifies Baldi's actions when he gives chase, as the Player has failed their objective. However, corporal punishment for failure to maintain a light source, similar to failing a math problem in the classic edition, is viewable as "disproportionate retribution".
- 2 preview teaser images were released by mystman12 before the release of the demo.
- In V1.0, the only characters in the demo were Baldi, Principal of the Thing, and Player. There were also no "NO" signs or forest texture on the ends of the map.
- The Player can walk outside the boundaries of the map through a large gap in front of the bus. This allows them to be able to see a secret hidden behind the map, where a PlaceFace hides behind a door texture next to two "NO" signs. This Easter Egg was added in V1.1.
- If pausing during a speaking line, the audio will continue until it normally ends.
- Unlike in Baldi's Basics Classic and Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, the Player cannot customize the controls.
- The sprinting mechanic has been noticeably nerfed and will now slow the Player to a crawl if depleted. It will not recharge unless the Player stays completely still, two sub-mechanics that were removed in later updates of Baldi's Basics Classic to make it easier to complete.
- For some reason, this demo uses another font style, not only Comic Sans MS unlike all the other games.
- ↑ "Let's go camping!" - mystman12. July 10, 2018. Twitter
- ↑ "Well, I was hoping to have a thing ready by today, but sadly stuff is taking a little bit longer than I thought. Hopefully early next week! Also, disclaimer, it's not Baldi's Basics 2, but it is Baldi and there *will* be something new to play! Anyways, have another teaser:" - mystman12. July 20, 2018. Twitter