Arts and Crafters is a white and gray long-sleeved sock-puppet sporting googly eyes (the right eye being bigger than the left as well as reflecting the room if looking closely), with a black mouth and a red tongue made out of cardboard. The black mouth is only slightly visible when his mouth is closed and his tongue can only be seen when he opens his mouth. Observing, Arts and Crafters is being worn by a right hand.
Based on the scaling of Baldi's ruler, the height of Arts and Crafters is about 8.1 feet (246.89 centimeters), not including the space between him and the ground.
Arts and Crafters first seems to be very shy, preferring to stay by himself and avoid other people. However, after the Player collects all the notebooks on the floor, he ultimately becomes more aggressive, starting to run after the Player out of jealousy for having more notebooks than himself when in front of his sight. He does not emit any audio containing words, but only makes a static-resembled sound.
Arts and Crafters can be inferred to be an artist, writer, or scrapbooker, as he has a peculiarly large number of notebooks, and his jealousy could stem from the thought that because the Player has so many notebooks, they are more prolific than him in his field of work.
When the Player begins the game, Arts and Crafters will spawn in one of the rooms and avoid being seen by the Player. When the Player sees for a few seconds, he will flee away from them in fast speed. The Player will more commonly find him down at the end of a hallway, rather than around a corner. Unless Arts and Crafters is in his spawn point or joining the party event, he will never be seen inside of a room, instead sticking only to hallways. Sometimes, Arts and Crafters may teleport to the end of the hallway where the Player is looking at.
Once the maximum amount of notebooks in the Hide-and-Seek mode, or seven or more in Endless mode are collected, Arts and Crafters will become hostile towards the Player and only then will he become an antagonist. If the Player makes eye contact with Arts and Crafters for more than a second, his mouth opens and he will charge at the Player at an exceedingly high speed, emitting a loud static-like roaring noise. If he fully reaches the Player, he starts running in circles around the Player, cloning himself into five and getting faster until he teleports the Player to random locations. He will not spawn again afterward, which means he only appears once per floor.
When provoked, Arts and Crafters moves at such a high speed while charging the Player that he is occasionally unable to turn around corners, causing him to continuously miss the entrance to a perpendicular hallway. He can be temporarily avoided in this phase if the Player enters a room since he does not go inside rooms himself, but he must eventually be interacted with along the path to beating the floor, as he is too fast to evade in the halls.
If the Player repeatedly looks back while facing Arts and Crafters to avoid looking directly at him for too long, he will not become provoked and will continue moving normally. He will also remain calm if the Player is facing away from him but looking back at him. Using BSODA on Arts and Crafters will push him away while chasing the Player, making BSODA a defense mechanism. This is usually wasteful as he will quickly return to top speed after the BSODA leaves him behind; it is only recommended if the Player is very close to the final elevator. If Faculty Nametag is in action, Arts and Crafters will not charge at the Player, but it does not work if he is already triggered.
Arts and Crafters can also move in some cases:
- Heading off to Principal's Office for the party event.
- Being pushed by Gotta Sweep or Cloudy Copter.
- Entering the Conveyor Belt.
- Being sucked by a whirlpool.
Arts and Crafters appeared the camping field trip, until the V0.3 update of Baldi's Basics Plus. Arts and Crafters will only start attacking the Player if they wander behind the "NO" signs for more than 10 seconds. He will endlessly loop around aimlessly in an attempt to catch the Player until he can teleport them to the campfire. Arts and Crafters will even teleport angry Baldi back to the same place with the Player after spawning if the campfire is out.
- In Baldi's Basics Classic, Arts and Crafters has the same behavior as in the full game. He spawns in the Cafeteria and he will only attack if the Player collected all 7 notebooks. If the Player is caught, he will then teleport them and Baldi to the starting point of the game. This occurs in both Story Mode and Endless Mode. When he reaches the Player, Arts and Crafters will instantly teleport the Player and Baldi to the T-shaped hallway where the game begins, it can be helpful because the Player can use this teleport to quickly reach the final exit after the other three have been activated. Even without running, it is possible to just barely avoid being caught by Baldi after teleporting there, so it comes in handy if the Player has run out of stamina and is about to be caught.
- In Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash, Arts and Crafters have the same appearance in Classic, but he is one of the few characters not to wear any birthday accessories. Furthermore, he was not able to shout out a word to surprise the Player with the original cast near the end after reaching the last exit in the Cafeteria. Instead, he just opens his mouth and does a small version of his static.
- In Baldi's Basics - Field Trip demo: Camping, Arts and Crafters can take the Player's logs away after teleporting.
- Arts and Crafters is a wordplay of "Arts and crafts".
- Arts and Crafters was originally intended to speak actual words instead of just screeching, as mystman12 has confirmed that the "Let's play!" line was originally for him before he realized that it would fit Playtime more.
- Arts and Crafter's audio originates from a ROM corruption of the Super Nintendo game Donkey Kong Country 2.
- In the Kickstarter video, mystman12 can be seen hitting Arts and Crafters with his ruler.
- Arts and Crafters is intended to have a beanie plush, but it has yet to be released in the new standard set.
- Arts and Crafters' design was inspired by Sussie from The Amazing World of Gumball when mystman12 tried to edit a picture of Sussie in the dark from far away.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Arts and Crafters is the second fastest character when charging. He is so fast that he often misses the entrance to a hallway, as well as being faster than 1st Prize and Gotta Sweep.
- Arts and Crafters keeps accelerating, making him really fast when using hacks to not get caught.
- If looking carefully at Arts and Crafters when charging at the Player, the hand inside of him appears more vividly, grasping to make his mouth open.
- In floor 2 and 3, there is a very rare chance that Arts and Crafters can teleport the Player to the Mystery Room without the Mystery Room event starting.
- Prior to V0.3.2, Arts and Crafters did not clone himself, but instead distorting while charging the Player. He could teleport Baldi and he would know the Player's location.
- Collecting the last notebook while Arts and Crafters is in the same room will immediately result in Arts and Crafters charging at the Player.
- Arts and Crafters cannot teleport the Player if they are being teleported by a whirlpool.
- Baldi's Basics Classic/Birthday Bash/Field Trip demo
- Arts and Crafters can be controlled by eight triggers, but these triggers can only be seen in the 3D model map. However, the map does not show other two triggers.
- Arts and Crafters' sprite is in complete quality and entirely undithered, having the highest resolution sprite in the game. This was changed since the early demo.
- Seen in an earlier release of the game, Arts and Crafters' old description said: "Truly an incredible sock puppet. I've never seen one like it!!". It was changed for giving no hints of what he would do.
- The updated poster also reveals his true gender, unlike his older poster that simply referred to Arts and Crafters as an "it". This was likely referring to the sock puppet, not Arts and Crafters himself.
- His early description was strangely used for the first version of the early demo, also the sprite for the picture was still unchanged. This was quickly fixed in the next update patch.
- Arts and Crafters' charging sprite is referred to as
Crafters_Ohno.pngin the texture files. The "Ohno" word is also shared for the sound file when the 99's game over jumpscare occurs, 1st Prize's "OH - no" quote and The Test's body model. Whether these have a deeper lore connection similar to number 99 is unknown.
- If using hacking tools by enabling the characters' names to be visible, it is revealed that Arts and Crafters becomes invisible rather than truly vanishing. He will turn invisible once the Player gets close enough.
- If the Player moves fast enough to enter a room before Arts and Crafters catches them, they will get stuck in there, because getting out will have Arts and Crafters catching them, and Arts and Crafters constantly zips back and forth in front of the door, unless the room has more than one door.
- On the poster for Arts and Crafters, his picture is slightly smaller than it appears in Baldi's Basics Plus.
- In the Kickstarter exclusive demo, there is a chance that Arts and Crafters can teleport the Player onto a merry-go-round if the floor they are on has a Playground.
- Baldi's Basics Plus
- Prior to V0.1.3, when Arts and Crafters teleports the Player hiding in the blue locker, the Player would not exit from the locker.
- Prior to V0.3 in the camping field trip, even after Arts and Crafters teleported the Player, his subtitle still remained on the screen.
- Prior to V0.3.2, Arts and Crafters rarely got stuck in the wall while trying to charge at the Player.
|*STATIC*||Short sound that plays when Arts and Crafters first charges at the Player.
|Plays right after the previous sound. Once the sound has finished playing, it will repeat.
- Classic/Birthday Bash/Field Trip demo
- Full Game Early Demo
- "Actually, when I recorded Playtime's line, "Let's play!", I was actually doing it as a test for, um, First-no, Arts and Crafters, I went "Let's play!" (clown-like voice) and then... I remembered I actually had a plan for Arts and Crafters which was a screeching noise he has, so I was like, 'Oh, I must just use it for Arts and Crafters.', then I realized this is perfect for Playtime, so that's how her voice came to be." - Livestream archive 18:28~18:56
- "Alright, guys, it's serious time!" - Kickstarter video 3:42~3:55
- "The idea for Arts and Crafters came from... like... Have you ever seen the character Sussie from The Amazing World of Gumball? The idea for Arts and Crafters is for some reason years back, I liked photoshopped a picture of Sussie like standing out like far the distance like this dark... dark like porch at night, you know like, because I thought it looked really creepy. And so that was the inspiration for like Arts and Crafters would have like a creepy like thing like far away a photo-realistic object like far away off the back end of like a hallway or something like that." - Mystman12 (Baldi’s Basics) Q&A - CultureFreak 1:40~2:17
- "So those rooms aren't actually rooms at all, they're actually just pieces of the triggers used to control Arts and Crafters. There are actually eight triggers total and when you enter one Arts and Crafters will head to a predetermined location based on the trigger you entered." - Baldi's Basics Classic LOST BITS (ft. The Developer!) | Unused Content TetraBitGaming 1:42~1:57
|About Page • Mentioned Characters • Cut Characters • Comic-Exclusive Characters • Category|
|Italic: Unreleased, *: Non-Plus exclusive, **: Only mentioned|