|Uh oh. Something is not as it seems about this page. It seems bad alright. The game has been detected with hidden deep lore, with possible spoiler details uncovered. Wait... Was it just a bug that happened regularly? - 99|
99 is a recurring number in the Baldi's Basics series, with possibly a hidden deep lore that has yet to be recovered in Baldi's Basics Plus. It is unknown if the number is giving a hint to associate with a hidden entity and/or the entire game program itself, or is just a minor symbol.
- 1 List
- 1.1 Baldi's Basics Plus
- 1.1.1 Class Doors
- 1.1.2 Baldi's Wave
- 1.1.3 99 Seconds
- 1.1.4 99 on Baldi's Basics Plus early access trailer
- 1.1.5 ClassicGameManager
- 1.1.6 Food sprite
- 1.1.7 9/9 Notebooks
- 1.1.8 The BadSum screen in the ending
- 1.1.9 "THIS PROGRAM IS CANCER"
- 1.1.10 Rare Tree
- 1.1.11 Farm Leaderboard
- 1.1.12 New farm teaser
- 1.1.13 99:99
- 1.2 Baldi's Basics Classic
- 1.3 Baldi's Basics Birthday Bash
- 1.4 Demos
- 1.5 Kickstarter
- 1.6 Others
- 1.1 Baldi's Basics Plus
- 2 Trivia
- 3 References
Baldi's Basics Plus
The wave animation for Baldi at the beginning of the game technically has 50 frames in it and the last frame ends as the name
Baldi_Wave0099. This is proven by going through the game's files. If this is just a coincidence or not is up to debate, however.
99 on Baldi's Basics Plus early access trailer
In Baldi's Basics Plus early access trailer, the "99" number is covering the text "GET READY!".
When hacking the game to view the
ClassicGameManager code, on the 13th line of code, the "
new Random(99);" text with a number 99 can be seen. That same code also appears on
The vertical size of the food sprite found in Cafeteria is 99 pixels. If looking closely, a 9 next to another 9 can be seen to be cropped.
In Birthday Bash, the player can find two more salmon notebooks in the Glitched School to total up 9 notebooks.
BadSum screen in the ending
In the ending, after Baldi sings, the game will appear to glitch out for a few seconds, stacking random parts of the song on top of each other. Eventually, the "
BadSum" screen will appear, although it is distorted and with new text. The text has a number 99 on the middle.
"THIS PROGRAM IS CANCER"
There is a hidden "THIS PROGRAM IS CANCER" chalkboard written with a bunch of 99 scribbles. In Baldi's Basics Plus, it is the rarest chalkboard to be generated in a classroom. In Classic and Birthday Bash, it is found outside of the Classroom with the red notebook. While it can be viewed more clearly with hacks, the chalkboard is still normally but very briefly seen while searching the last exit. This is also accompanied by the unusually fallen fences from the western Outdoor Area's right side.
When viewing the leaderboard for the time it takes to get to the flagpole in the farm field trip prior to V0.3, all empty leaderboard positions are filled with Baldi taking 9999 seconds to reach the flagpole.
Prior to Baldi's Basics Plus V0.2, the time and current grade results after completing each floor are placeholders. The placeholders for how much time it took the player to beat the level is 99 minutes and 99 seconds (99:99). This is possibly another reference to the number 99.
Baldi's Basics Classic
A number 99, in the brown box that was cropped to resemble two eyeballs, has a 1 in 99 chance to appear in the game over screen and turn red and bigger with a distorted noise before crashing the game.
In the configuration pop-up of versions 1.2 to 1.4.3 in Baldi's Basics Classic, the only listed option for the graphics quality of the game is "1999". It may also be a possibility that the story of the game takes place in the year 1999 as the game's fictional release date. This could be why Baldi is allowed to deliver corporal punishment, without getting in trouble, as this was seen as acceptable in some schools, in the past. With the world of Baldi's Basics being related to old PC games and having older computer game graphics, the number 99 may also symbolize the same year.
Though it may just be a coincidence, interestingly, many people in the world speculated around the year 1999, that the Year 2000 problem (also known as the "millennium bug" or the "Y2K computer bug") would crash numerous computers and cause world chaos, after the year 1999 came to an end. If this connection between the game and the computer virus conspiracy is valid, this would strongly suggest that the game's own world is coming to a glitched, malfunctioning end as if the Y2K computer bug did happen in the alternate reality.
When decompiling Baldi's Basics Classic and activating any learning game, it says:
When the + symbol is removed, then it becomes number 99. 9+9 also equals 18 and Baldi's Basics Classic was released in 2018.
There is one rare red balloon that has 99 on the top side but flipped horizontally. Since the
SpoopBalloons are strangely referred to as balloons, the red
SpoopBalloons that were more corrupted and glitched in appearance corresponds to the red balloon.
In Baldi's Basics Full Game Early Demo, there is a chalk-scribbled chalkboard with an erased area in the shape of the number 99. It is located behind the Roto-Hall. In the teaser for the Portal Poster on Basically, Games!'s Twitter, the same chalkboard can very briefly be seen in the Principal's Office. In that case, the chalkboard was most likely used as a placeholder.
In the Kickstarter exclusive demo, funval is the name of the variable that the game checks for to determine if the game is cracked. If the value is not 99 (which it is not when cracked), the game sends the player to the anti-piracy screen, unless if the files were modified and the anti-piracy screen was replaced with another scene.
In Baldi's Basics - Challenges Demo, if hacking the demo to show the name of Stealthy Challenge EnvironmentController or ripping off the scenes of the Stealthy Challenge to look at its EnvironmentController, it will say "
EC for an abbreviation of Environment Controller,
99 as its seed, and
StealthyChallenge as its LevelObject name for the Stealthy Challenge (The LevelObject control how the random level generator generates its level). It is possible that this is a coincidence, though.
99 in the "Thank You" image
In the "Thank you!" image in Kickstarter, there is a number 99 under Cloudy Copter. It is barely seen in the original image as the number has a very similar color as the background color. However, by editing the photo to have a different color of background, the number 99 can clearly be seen.
99 on the calculator
In the clip about the college from the Kickstarter promotion video, there are two numbers seen on calculators number 81 and 99 (81 probably inverted 18, which was added 18 + 81 = 99 before that sum appears this number) on mystman12's computer calculator.
Paying $99 for the Kickstarter would give the purchaser a big box copy of the game with original artwork. There were only 99 to go around as well.
Every price has 99 at the end. On the packaging of some Baldi's Basics action figure items including the Baldi Youtooz box, the number 99 can be seen. Only 99 Baldi Youtooz figures can be ordered per cart.
Baldi's Basics 3-Year Anniversary Presentation
The number 99 appears twice in this video. The first appearance is when mystman12 says 99, but it is bleeped when he reveals the mug, and the second being on a red balloon and possibly on his whiteboard when he exits his room near the end. Also in the video, in the part where he is talking about Baldi's Basics Classic Remastered, on the whiteboard there are 2018, 2021, and 2117 dates. Adding up 2018 + 99 equals 2117.
- In a Twitter post, mystman12 stated that he will be 99 years old in the year 2097.
- In another Twitter post, mystman12 stated that he has a score of 99/10 for being the creator/developer of the Baldi's Basics series.
- The music track "99" is also used for Baldi's Basics Plus' Kickstarter video, for the scene where mystman12 is trying to back hold laughing after the mention of "lore" possibly being revealed in Baldi's Basics Plus. Then, he bursts out in maniacal laughter but quickly cutting to a brief-limited shaking scene with Joshua Valent, posing as the character of
filename2(possibly where the original, unedited photo of
filename2came from) accompanying with a loud industrial noise.
- When soundtracks are downloaded from SoundCloud, "99" soundtrack is placed on 99th place on music list from PC libraries.
- Additionally, the chalkboard in Baldi's Basics Classic that has the number "99" written all over it, is hidden (similar to how the alternate ending of the game starts nearby Baldi's Office, as well as the character
filename2in general). The quote on this hidden chalkboard reads "THIS PROGRAM IS CANCER", and as known by
filename2's speech during the alternate ending,
filename2wants the player to "destroy the game". With this, it's possible that
filename2was responsible for the writing on this chalkboard, and possibly, other instances of the number "99" showing up in the game.
- The name of the sound file for the "99 jumpscare" game over screen in Baldi's Basics Classic is "ohno", the same spelling shows up in the name for Arts and Crafters' charging pose in Classic, Birthday Bash and Field Trip demo, "
Crafters_Ohno". Other files are 1st Prize's "OH - no" quote named as
1PR_OhNo, Beans' "Oh no!" quote named as "
Ben_Spit_OhNo" and The Test's body sprites, which are named as "
- mystman12's deleted BaldiComic has September 3, 1999, as the account's "birth date".
- 99 is deliberately corrupted in some versions. A prime example would be Birthday Bash, where the ending consists of
SpoopBalloons with the number 99 on them. Additionally, adding all balloon numbers together correctly and putting them together will also equal 99.
- Anim8or (the program for modeling 3D characters in game) was released on July 20, 1999.
- It is possible that the 99 gag is referencing the North American release date of the Sega Dreamcast, 9/9/1999.
- In mystman12's Tweet on December 17, 2020, he said that the new farm field trip in Baldi's Basics Plus V0.3.2 was about 99% finished. Although, it actually was 99% done.
- In mystman12's scratch game You can shoot doughnuts in this game WOW!, there is a script that says "
when timer > 99 = start sound WOO" the sound was taken from Donkey Kong Country.
- "Wow what a great maze! #gamedev" - mystman12. December 9, 2020. Twitter
- "This tier is just like the $70 tier, but instead of the normal big box, you'll get a limited edition box that uses the original game's artwork!" - Kickstarter campaign section
- "The year is 2097. I'm 99 years old," - mystman12. August 8, 2020. Twitter
- "Mystman: 10/10 Mystman12: 7/10 Numbers in usernames is a relic of times past. Myst: 1/10 Myst is a game/series, not me! Micah: 4/10 online, 10/10 IRL. The Baldi's Basics creator: 99/10 HAHA YES THAT IS A GAME I MADE AND NOW MY ENTIRE IDENTIFY REVOLVES AROUND IT APPARENTLY." - mystman12. September 12, 2020. Twitter
- Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning Kickstarter Video - 2:44
- "the account. Still, it's strange to think a few hundred people saw those comics. I'll probably release the strips at some point, but not any time soon. Here's a picture of what the account looked like though, in all it's insane Baldi glory! :P The banner is made up of snippets..." - mystman12. March 22, 2018. Twitter
- "Starting day 11! The new farm field trip is about 99% finished, so I'll be making a few final tweaks to that and then work on fixing some bugs." - mystman12. December 17, 2020. Twitter
- "Yeah actually 99% done haha." - mystman12. December 17, 2020. Twitter